Do you suffer with HAVS/white finger?

Mesterh

Do you suffer from HAVS/white finger.  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Do you suffer from HAVS/white finger.

• Climber, dont suffer.
    • Climber, yes hav problems.
    • Groundsman/forestry, dont suffer
    • Groundsman/forestry, yes hav problems.
    • Other chainsaw/hedge/blower user, dont suffer
    • Other chainsaw/hedge/blower user, yes hav problems

BEFORE YOU VOTE PLEASE READ!!!

Please only vote if youve been doing the job professionally for at least 5 years.

Just wondering since there has been a few threads about HAVS how may people out there suffer with it.

Ive been climbing for 15 years and havent a problem yet and off the top of my head I cant think of anyone that suffers(although most of them are climbers too)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started getting really bad white finger in my left hand. I was using pole saws a lot for trimming conifer hedges. We tie-wrapped lagging foam around the shafts and I always wore AV gel gloves, but when it got cold and or wet, I still had quite severe circulation problems. The solution was...don't use pole saws!. I rarely do conifer hedges these days and the problem is now almost eradicated. Another persistant offender is hand held blowers...I get pins and needles in my hands after about 5 minutes of using them. Surely a big company like Stihl can put a bit more effort into the AV mounts of these machines...maybe a few hundred compensation claims against them would make them pull their fingers out!

I started getting really bad white finger in my left hand. I was using pole saws a lot for trimming conifer hedges. We tie-wrapped lagging foam around the shafts and I always wore AV gel gloves, but when it got cold and or wet, I still had quite severe circulation problems. The solution was...don't use pole saws!. I rarely do conifer hedges these days and the problem is now almost eradicated. Another persistant offender is hand held blowers...I get pins and needles in my hands after about 5 minutes of using them. Surely a big company like Stihl can put a bit more effort into the AV mounts of these machines...maybe a few hundred compensation claims against them would make them pull their fingers out!

Maybe they can't pull their fingers out cos they can't feel them :001_tt2:

Totally agree about the blowers though, it's well worth getting a backpack one.

Real bad in the colder months, and even on late finishes in summer. Gloves are essential once the sun has gone down, with white fingertips and TOTAL loss of feeling in the ends of fingers. Been getting worse over the last 4 or 5 years.

Do you think that might be from your mason work though Tom and not tree work ?