MB Trac advice

Highland Forestry

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anybody could shed some light on an irritating little problem I've got with my MB.

It's an F reg MB Trac 1000, and the engine seems to be using coolant.

There is no water in the oil, the exhaust seems to be quite normal but it seems to loose around 4l of coolant over a period of a few days and then sit at a level after this initial loss.

After a run on the road there seems to be steam coming from the back of the engine towards the bulkhead with the cab which is completely inaccessible even for an inspection as far as we can tell.

I had wondered about frost plugs etc but can't seem to locate any on the block and had also thought of a hole in the radiator and have administered rad weld as a precaution but the loss of coolant is still happening.

Any thoughts most welcome!!

may have an air lock in the system or rad needs to be flushed through my mog occasionally lets coolant out of the overflow pipe on the header tank

I had thought of that today, and moved the overflow pipe from the header tank to the front of the block so that if it let coolant go I would be able to see it but it didnt appear to overflow at all.

I'm a bit concerned that it might be a head gasket or crack in the block but i'm sure there would be water in the oil if that was the case.

Another concern is that it is a frost plug/core plug at the back of the engine where we can't get to it!!

Mathew where is the heater matrix? the pipes from them sometimesenter the cab around about the point you describe it could be a hose conection there.

Was there plenty antifreeze in it? taking into account where you are and the wind chill factor must be about -100 occasionally :biggrin:

i think its either a core plug or a head gasget with the gasket split into the cylinder :thumbdown:

hope its an easy fix mate and not an engine out shot.

Sounds to me like a head gasket leaking into the cylinder. Test by filling up with water and when the engines warmed up put a wad of paper towel over the exhaust. If its wet with steam then the gasket has gone.

Any external leaks over time will produce a tell tale brown rust stain which you should be able to trace back to the source.

Have you checked the pressure cap spring and seal are still working.

Thanks for all the replies guys...

I'm still a little unsure but I think as you've said on here it's the head gasket. I'll try the paper towel idea tomorrow morning..

I had a 1hr drive to site thismorning in her, and she was running all day, sweet as a nut - the temperature guage never got much above 80 and she seems fine, but I do know she is using coolant and it seems every time I top up the header tank it takes roughly 4l which when you next start her and take her on a run seems to instantly get out along with lots of steam.

However, looking under the bonnet today I noticed some brown rust coloured marks on the block which seem to originate as far as I can tell from the head.

Engine out I rekon :confused1:

Anybody got any ideas what the cost to do a head gasket would be??

Edited by Highland Forestry

swhouldnt be vast amounts if its a cast head there should be no need to skim it just the head gsket and time there not difficult to do will take longer to get it out and in !

I was thinking that too.... while it's out I might well get a few other bits done to it and hopefully save a repeat performance in the future