Thin or Reduce

RobArb

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Becuae most of the sites i work on are high public usage we have to chec kthe trees on a regular basis to make sure there are no defects. On the lower usage sites if we have any nice mature trees we leave to get on with it. In may i shall get some pics of an old Hawthorn. Several people think the tree is infact several other planted ones but is infact one big one that has collapsed over the years.

In response to orginal question. 1 ft pollard AKA... Stump

Matt

I think the point is it depends on the Defect. No defect no cutting!! Crown lifting excepted.

P

High Scale, thank you.

As a matter of interest I would pass this on an AAC assessment but with a comment that the height reduction is 'heavier' than the rest of the crown (judged by the size of the rpuning wounds in the center), obvioulsy I haven't seen the spec and if that's waht was intended then fine.

Also I would mention a caution when reducing smaller branches back to what are effectively twigs, as secondary growth points, that if they fail, i.e. blow off in high winds, then you're kinda left with seemingly an internodal cut or elongated stub. That said Sycamore (hope my ident is up to the post?!) is difficult to reduce in this respect.

All in all, good effort 8/10...well done.

Thanks again for posting, that's what I find reassuring about this forum.

Gud'on'ya..!

Paul

Paul, thanks, we, my fellow climbers and I, always try to leave the top higher then bring in the sides harder, the tree is a Norway Maple.

Here is another example, not such a clear picture, Beech, as much inner growth left as I could manage, trying to leave as much of the top as possible and trying to find that shape that compliments the original natural shape of the tree, not my specification just contract climbing on that job, if it was my job I would have left the tree alone apart from maybe a crown clean.

IMG00132-20101129-1228.jpg.3df01e86e5a0bf0ba038b8982f5181eb.jpg

IMG00130-20101129-0919.jpg.e547d3d60e7c20d1c4fe4e9454931018.jpg

Thanks again High Scale, I cud do this all day, i.e. critique quality work, another very good job.

Presumably the spec was to balance the crown, as the left hand side on viewing is reduced 'heavier' than the right and with a 15-20%, or thereabouts.

Knockin on the door of a 9/10 here...well done!

Thanks again.

Paul

PS Have to get back to the day job now but will chekc back later....cheers!

Thanks again High Scale, I cud do this all day, i.e. critique quality work, another very good job.

Presumably the spec was to balance the crown, as the left hand side on viewing is reduced 'heavier' than the right and with a 15-20%, or thereabouts.

Knockin on the door of a 9/10 here...well done!

Thanks again.

Paul

PS Have to get back to the day job now but will chekc back later....cheers!

Paul, the spec is always treated as a guide, every tree is different as you know and they all lend themselves differently to the potential work you are planning to do. I was one of two climbers in that tree, my mate Stu in the tree with me and he's probably the best reducer/reshaper I know.

Thanks very much for your comments.

Paul, the spec is always treated as a guide, every tree is different as you know and they all lend themselves differently to the potential work you are planning to do. I was one of two climbers in that tree, my mate Stu in the tree with me and he's probably the best reducer/reshaper I know.

Thanks very much for your comments.

Thank YOU for the opportunity to comment, always happy to do so.

Cheers 'High Scale' n have good weekend.

Paul