wood burning rayburn

cosworth

The pipe run is about 3m, but with a couple of 90 degree bends, which are supposed to equate to another metre?

I think I read a figure of 6m maximum somewhere, but I can't find the details at the moment.

I have wondered about whether you could simply add another CH pump into the loop for longer pipe runs. If it was all insulated properly and the second pump was controlled off the same flue stat, there should be no problem - but I'm not a plumber, and so there may be something I'm missing.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What would the second pump do though? I gather that the pump in the Laddomat simply circulates the mini circuit rather than pumping water up to the tank. Maybe I got that bit wrong. The way I see it is that the tank return is blanked off when the boiler is cold so the pump just circulates water from the bolier. When this is hot enough it starts to add cold return to it which in turn, draws hot water from the 't' above the laddomat up into the tank. This continues until the return is hot at which point it just circulates the gravity system. Should the return go cold, the Laddomat restricts the return and keeps heat in the mini circuit. Likewise, when the fire goes out, the flue stat shuts off the pump which stops the whole system from running.

Any one using one of these thinking of getting one to do the central heating? I have heard you need alot of logs any info would be great

I have supplied someone who has a wood Rayburn all his logs for the past 3 years.

He buys a 1.5 metre load of Softwood logs 8-10 " length every 4 weeks.

He does not seem to use it during the summer. He does not get any of his own firewood or buy from anyone else.

What would the second pump do though? I gather that the pump in the Laddomat simply circulates the mini circuit rather than pumping water up to the tank. Maybe I got that bit wrong. .

I think you have that right, I hadn't realised Laddomat was a make of back end protection. Yes they work just like the thermostat and water pump on a car engine, if you take one apart, as I did with one of a different make, you will probably find the waxstat looks just the same as the one from a car.

All the time the water in the boiler circuit is <60C it circulates it back to the boiler return, as it gets toward 60C the waxstat opens and a small amount of hot water is directed to the heat load, with a similar small amount of cold water blended into the boiler return. When all the boiler circuit and the return circuit is above 60C the waxtat is open fully and it then blocks the recirculation to the short circuit to the boiler retuirn.

In larger installations the valve and thermostat are all electric.

It's not an uncommon problem and I have experience of a complete talbot C150 install where this vital back end protection was left out. The client became so disillusioned that they had scrapped the boiler after 3 seasons because the firetubes were fouling with tar, poor woodchip aggravated this, before I could advise them.

Quick Rayburn question. Just yesterday, the Rayburn has started smoking excessively from various points on the stove, and even one place on the flue (where it joints from single skin to double) mainly when you are lighting it.

I suspect that the flue isn't drawing as well as it should - is it a simple case of sweeping the chimney, or is it something more sinister?

sweep the chimney and hoover out the cast plate (lift it) on top and the box under the chimney ours has just started doing the same but its over due, was last swept last dec 2010 so over a year, we try to do ours yearly but i find the light ash often cloggs the flue dilution box and area under the hob/ oven top quicker so maybe 2-3 monthly to get it efficient.

it ,may be worth checking that you haven't got birds in the chimney as its that time of year.... we invested in some of these when i rebuilt the chimney.....Hotline Chimneys Online Shop - Decorative guard - Terracotta - Hotline Chimneys Online Shop