Easiest way to do this?

RobRainford

Hi Rob! You would'nt get me wadding in water with a chainsaw running :thumbdown: its not worth the chance of slipping or dropping the saw ect. cut it free and drag it out then cut it up on dry land you'll have more luck seeing the nails that he's used to hang the bird boxes on :thumbup1:.

I'd be glad it didnt fall over with a climber attatched :scared1: what a way to die :thumbdown:

id thought that too. i said i bet it made a hell of a splash!

thats the trouble with the kretz, the crown doesnt always show the signs of decline! yet the base could be proper FUBAR

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

thats not a bad idea, but that syccie is too far from the hard standing, as we lifted the pieces they would just swing onto the grass, which we cant get a machine onto.

Im thinking a manitou with some nice long slings or ropes would be my best option so far, stretched out it should still lift 3-500kgs so doing small pieces and ill be happy. i guessed around 2 days to get it all done proper.

the best and only access is from where im stood in pic 4, from the edge, the top part of the crown wouldnt be a worry as its quite light and some of it floats but the main stem id have fun dragging out!

2 days? Am i missing something? Looks straight forward enough to me, especially with a manitou to hand!

Tractor and chains. Or better yet, a track machine/digger. Pulled a similar size tree out of a pond with a DAF 4x4 a few years ago. Was on a golf course leaning over a water hazard. Either dismantle or attach chains fell into pond and drag it out. Was out of there and on the road by lunch time.

i plan to drag as much as i can, but theres a wall and lots of aesthetics along the bank thats got the best access, i would love to drag it straight out. it looks like a very wet dismantle!

Another thing Rob, The last job I did like that was a dead Elm that took a dive into a moat. It was a proper pig and we all got coverd in the grease and human waste that passed through the overflow on their clargester (sewage treatment tank). We ended up doing the job and calling it a day at 12 so we could all go home for a shower and clean cloths. wear a pair or marigolds under your normal gloves ( Rat wee isnt any good for you) and you can bet their all over the place if he feeds the ducks :thumbup1: Take a few pic and post if you get the job :thumbup1:

One thing to consider pre-pulling it out in one lump is how is the pond sealed? Lined, is it clay or natural? You could also anchor in off adjacent tree walk along the trunk and sling the boughs at the end, cut them free and either pulley them up and out or drag them out. leaving a trunk to practice some rolling feet techniques with!!

another brainwave, would a hiab be worth anything on this?

No more of an advantage than a manitou on this job IMO. If you had a hiab that would reach over the tree, you would have to get out there and sling then cut small bits off.

Just drag it out with your manitou. No point in over complicating things, i always think of KISS (keep it simple stupid) Drag, cut, clear up, home in no time.