Land rover vs Isuzu vs Ford??

haforbes

I'm going to be replacing my '96 Defender in the next 12months and as far as I can tell it's between another Defender 90 (Tdci) , The Isuzu Rodeo and the Ford Ranger. I would probably get something 1-3years old and if it was a pickup I would be tempted by a supercab. The main things I'm looking for are good mpg (for a 4x4),towing ability and a bit more comfort than my current 90 would be nice:001_rolleyes:! Which one would anyone recommend and why??? Cheers

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Defender is the only one to legally tow 3500 kg

But they are thirsty under powered and uncomfortable:thumbdown:

and deprieciates the least:thumbup:

dont buy a ranger....got them at work and they are always broken. fuel problems and the like, clutch is too small for towing with no torque. izuzu or landy! personally id go landy as they are more work like, a dent doesnt write it off for reselling! :biggrin:

if you ask me you are doing the equivalent of comparing a tractor to a lawn mower!!

Yes a defender is cold, drafty,thirsty, requires TLC and not the most comfortable machine in the world but its a tool to do a job and that job is to tow all day long be driven through horrible muck and be washed out at the end of the day! The other two you describe are a jack of all trades and a master of none.

Only you can decide what your using it for. But a defender can tow 3500kg and can if required have a Tachograph fitted easily.

landy,, the defender has been officially cancelled as far as my local stealer has been told,, not until late this year/ early next year but expect to see used values go up as soon as it becomes press knowledge,,

How do you mean cancelled? I know they are due to change the chassis design in a few years, but wasnt aware they were being pulled off the production line so soon.

I'm going to be replacing my '96 Defender in the next 12months and as far as I can tell it's between another Defender 90 (Tdci) , The Isuzu Rodeo and the Ford Ranger. I would probably get something 1-3years old and if it was a pickup I would be tempted by a supercab. The main things I'm looking for are good mpg (for a 4x4),towing ability and a bit more comfort than my current 90 would be nice:001_rolleyes:! Which one would anyone recommend and why??? Cheers

hi mate... to be honest i'm not a land rover fan... although the mrs has the sport and i couldnt bear to sell TD6 range so kept that for myself..... i've always had L200'S or such like but i have to say i just bought a 57 plate 90 with the new engine in it and as i only use it for work its the best veichle for job... it pulls like a train and is bit more comfortable than older ones and will def hold its value better than anything.... depends what you do with it... i do lot clay and pheasant shootin clockin up lot miles through year and couldnt do it in the 90..[my back wouldnt take it on long journey] but 100% for work, cant be beaten....

Cheers for the replies. My only concerns with the new 90's is the leg room, I'm 6'4 and did briefly sit in a new one and it was not comfy! They're also very unreliable, noisy and as already said not good on fuel, Which seems odd because they have the same engine as the ranger (I think??) which is supposed to be much better. Is it all worth it for pulling the extra 500kg , off road capability and low depreciation?? To be honest the landy was at the bottom of my list but it seems to be a popular choice.