Desiccated fruitbodies

David Humphries

6 months later and I have finally got round to replying. Attachd is before and after pictures of dried out specimen. I had begun to think that those gills were not gills at all but fibres within the fruiting body. Despite close examination of dried and rehydrateds specimen I could not find anything resembling pores.

But revisiting the tree this week kind of answered the question. Last spring there was no evidence of such extensive fruiting having taken place. This year it seems to have gone bonkers.

In conclusion the rehydration was not particularly helpful in this case.

I work in tree time Jules, so often wait for seasons to elapse before getting or supplying answers.

Perhaps I was an Ent in a previous incarnation :biggrin:

Not unusual to not find a seasons worth of fruiting bodies when Meripilus is concerned.

They're so maggoty when desicated I've know gardeners to tentatively scrape the stinking squidgy fungi-due into bags to tidy things up :001_rolleyes:

Personally can't see anything on the rehydrated specimen to aid identification.

But like you say, the cat's out of the proverbial...........

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is some recent trenching (possibly gas main) along the footway on the same side as the Meripilus main outbreaks (which I expect is the cause of the infection), but the Meripilus is also now popping through some pinched bark on another quarter. This tree could stand up for another 15 years, the footway is the windward side and so far there is no sign of canopy thinning but it's a busy road with queuing traffic at traffic lights. 24m high and a spread radius of about 14 metres, ludicrously overextended lower limbs. It's TPO'd, magnificent and prominent. It's a brave man that will leave it very long. Risk managers, lawyers and insurers don't seem willing to live in tree-time.

• 11 months later...