titan pro 30t log splitter

BARNSLEY BOB

One of the splitters they had where I've just left had been modified so you had to use both hands but was easy enough to still use one handed - you needed one hand to hold the log in position otherwise you ended up with kindling. used it all the time I was there and I've still got all my fingers.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dude you got a roof mounted crane and you use a vertical log splitter???

dont make sense to me, now i'll have to take pics of my setup to show you the size of stuff we break down using the equipment we've invested in.

converting wood manually is hard work, let the machine do it for you!!

dude you got a roof mounted crane and you use a vertical log splitter???

dont make sense to me, now i'll have to take pics of my setup to show you the size of stuff we break down using the equipment we've invested in.

converting wood manually is hard work, let the machine do it for you!!

Most of the wood I was doing at the time was fairly small stuff in long lengths, never had too much problem with loading it. You could pull big chunks to the splitter with the crane and then it was just a case of rolling it on end over end.

Did look at horizontal splitters at the time but glad I went vertical.

Do you mean a bit like this Dean? Before anyone says it - I wasn't trying to hump it :blushing:

We had 2 horizontal splitters where I worked last, they were ok on smallish stuff but a right pain in the ass on anything that needed splitting more than 4 ways.

I'd go vertical every time, and pto powered. That Thor I had was a monster - fast and powerful. Before we bought the processor we used to use it for billeting up lengths for the sawbench. in the end we used to just use it with the table on it for busting up big discs.

I have the same problem with my vertical machine, in theory you trap the logs between the handle bars and move them like that but some awkward ones need holding. I had a big beech ring go with a pop once while I was holding it with my belly. Knocked the wind right out of me. Mind you i'd still go for a vertical spliter every time, if I was the only one to use mine I'd convert it to one handed operation.

the big posch liebnitz 30t horizontal jobbie I used to use probably once or twice a week even had to be operated 2 handed. one lever controlled extension of the splitting ram, another controlled speed/power applied to the ram. with the second lever left at rest, the ram would not move.

a little bit annoying, but didnt often wish to be able to hold the log on the table. I can appreciate it's very different in the vertical domain

imo having used both vertical and horizontal types of various manufacturers, i dont think there is a perfect machine out there for everyones purpose.

if i am splitting rings i use a vertical tabletop,(got two) did have a horizontal for this aswell but got backache so traded it in.

for doing billets 4ft long i use a horizontal 30 splitter and load it with a crane

for cordwood i use a processor (got two)

why do i have two of each?? no down time when newer machine breaks down and seeing as the machines are already paid for, when i get a rush on all the machines are working flat out.

I had a big beech ring go with a pop once while I was holding it with my belly. Knocked the wind right out of me.

i always try to split my beech when fresh, have found the less the moisture content and the older the wood the the more likely it is to explode especially if the spalting has started.

have seen some beech fly over 30ft from the splitter:scared1:

Used a slitter that had been 2 hand oparated but 1 had been tide down so you could hold the log in place and use 1 lever 2 work it, result... a dash to A&E a night in hospital lots of stiches and a now slightly deformed finger with little feeling in it.

moral of the story, safety features are put there for a reason!!

i always try to split my beech when fresh, have found the less the moisture content and the older the wood the the more likely it is to explode especially if the spalting has started.

have seen some beech fly over 30ft from the splitter:scared1:

Yes it does get a bit tight when you leave it but I' only tend to split logs when I have no other work to do, this is why i have a yard full of rings and cord lengths.

Actually as i sell logs by the bulk bag I was thinking of getting someone in to split them and paying them by the bag. The only problem is will they dry in a bag? I am not sure as there will be less air circulation than in a heap.

And talking of heaps does anyone know how to calculate the volume of a heap ( assuming its a long sided pyramid )?