Birch roots

Carlo

Hi can any one help me with a tree assessment?

I was asked today if the roots of a 15m high birch tree growing 1m away from a retaining wall would damage it. There is no evedence of any damage at present, the tree was planted shortly after the wall was built 35 years ago.

Cheers Carlo

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The wall is built of concrete block faced with brick, 1.5m high, 500mm thick

with concrete foundations. The tree is growing on a bank at the top of the wall. The sub soil is boulder clay, there may be loose fill behind the wall to help with drainage.

Thanks Carlo

In my experience birch roots arn't too bad

Sounds like there may be a problem with windage if exposed

Maybe cut the birch back to a totem pole every say 5 years- they respond quite well to this although it appears a bit severe. This will restrict the roots

Youre joking, right?

Are you actually promoting the butchering of a birch?!?

There is no sign of a problem as it is, but the suggestion is to create a ugly highmaintenence tree just for the sake of it?

If you think there might be a problem, tell the client that there is no signs of roots lifting the ground as it is, but it might be a problem in the future. The advise then would be to consider a new tree further away and fell the birch within a couple of years. This will build your reputation as someone intrested in trees and not just money, and thus SHOULD create the offspin of more work from neighbours and friends of the customer.

If you totem the Birch it's likely to rot pretty quickly. They tend to start turning to mush after a few years. How much is the retaining wall holding back? If it's nothing major just keep an eye on it but if it's holding back a huge amount I wouldn't even take the risk unless it's a pretty substantial wall. Plus, leaving a totem isn't going to do much for your reputation now is it.

In my experience birch roots arn't too bad

Sounds like there may be a problem with windage if exposed

Maybe cut the birch back to a totem pole every say 5 years- they respond quite well to this although it appears a bit severe. This will restrict the roots

Is there any correlation (peer reviewed) between pruning branches and root extension?

I've got a birch in my garden that has been totemed for about 10 years- redone it twice.

No rot yet so thats my experience. In fact strong regrowth

The resulting tree is a great anchor for my hammock

It throws up fantastic straight regrowth giving dappled shade.

Call it art if you want

It's just a different looking tree- like a coppice but from 7ft up.

Time will tell but no problems yet

Oh yes it is pendula so that might have a bearing