Taking the Proverbial

Stevie Mac

So I was doing a wee job for my neighbor today, he wanted his five stemmed Ash tree pollarded, two stems had a heavy lean on them so where a straight fell and the remaining three pollarded.

The pole saw took care of six branches on another Ash. The brash was to be left but move to the back of the garden and mulched up a bit with the saw and the wood blocked and stacked for firewood.

So 4 to 5hrs max and charged him a neighbor rate of £150 half of what I would normally charge for the job with two of us working.

We arrived at half 8 this morning and got my neighbor to confirm the work which he added three other trees that he wanted out, two smallish cherrys and a smallish ash. I didn't say anything as they where small and would add about 40min to the job and he is my neighbor.

Couple of hours into the job the coffees where brought out and he asks me "when should I split the wood" and i say " I would split them now as the wood will dry quicker and it will be easier to split" and what was the reply?

"There is a axe in the garage if you want to get started now"

WTF!!

I was a bit speachless and the only thing I could think of saying was "sorry wont be able to do that today"

I have to go back tomorrow to block up a couple of logs so will tell him I'll split the logs for £40 ( I recon it will take 3hrs to split with an axe).

So rant over! Anyone else had chancre customers?

Thanks for listening

Stevie

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i did a few jobs for neighbours and friends etc. when i started out and they ALWAYS took the mick, usually asking me to log up what was agreed to be left for them or trying a little cheeky negotiation on a pre-agreed price just as i'm getting started on the job. i don't bother any more cos it just makes it awkward with them and just stick with "proper" clients.

So I was doing a wee job for my neighbor today, he wanted his five stemmed Ash tree pollarded, two stems had a heavy lean on them so where a straight fell and the remaining three pollarded.

The pole saw took care of six branches on another Ash. The brash was to be left but move to the back of the garden and mulched up a bit with the saw and the wood blocked and stacked for firewood.

So 4 to 5hrs max and charged him a neighbor rate of £150 half of what I would normally charge for the job with two of us working.

We arrived at half 8 this morning and got my neighbor to confirm the work which he added three other trees that he wanted out, two smallish cherrys and a smallish ash. I didn't say anything as they where small and would add about 40min to the job and he is my neighbor.

Couple of hours into the job the coffees where brought out and he asks me "when should I split the wood" and i say " I would split them now as the wood will dry quicker and it will be easier to split" and what was the reply?

"There is a axe in the garage if you want to get started now"

WTF!!

I was a bit speachless and the only thing I could think of saying was "sorry wont be able to do that today"

I have to go back tomorrow to block up a couple of logs so will tell him I'll split the logs for £40 ( I recon it will take 3hrs to split with an axe).

So rant over! Anyone else had chancre customers?

Thanks for listening

Stevie

Don't do mates rates, simples! You got £150 for a days work?? After you paid yer helper, insurance, fuel, etc then you have worked for not very much.

I know mate. My mate owed me a favor so paid him £80 for the day. I wont be doing that again.

your mate owed YOU a favour, so you paid him £80!!!?? bloody hell! how much would you pay him if you owed HIM a favour!?

we had a 'can you just' type customer - spec was to leave rings/logs in situ and she wanted them all taken to her log store, about 100m away! there was about 2 tonnes of syc.