Hazel and Chestnut

Very nice mate! My heart has'nt been 100% behind tree work for the last few years and very rarely do I feel as if Im improving the enviroment that we all live in. Taking these first few steps into copse cutting (Im hoping) might be the breath of fresh air I need :thumbup1:. Seeing pictures like yours is very inspiring, keep up the good work :thumbup:

Would like to echo that sentiment, beautiful pictures, truly inspiring.

Graham.

• 1 month later...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody coppice with willow? If so how have you found it?

Currently the nature reserve i'm with has a large willow coppice site and we're trying to encourage the self-set ash and planted hazel.

The willow is really useful for basket weaving and making small structures like 'wigloos' due to the flexibility

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
With regards to coppiced hazel... I am one of the countries few professional hedge layers, and coppiced hazel for both stake and binders is in short supply.... Can't get any in Yorks and all the stuff I usually get from Glos / Hereford seems to be going to make hurdles.

So there could be another avenue for your product.... good luck mate...

Sorry, what do you mean by that? What make a 'professional' hedgelayer as opposed to someone who does it for a living (a large percent of my winter work). Good thread by the way.

Hi all,

On SC layering etc. earlier this year SC was coppiced and 2.5 to 3 inch dia was used for topping off stone filled gabions, to contain top soil for wild flower seed to be sown in. As spring got under way the SC started to sprout which would have caused problems for the site had it been left to grow, so I rubbed the buds off.

I like my stakes 1 1/2" to 2" thick, 5 foot long.

Binders of 3/4" to 1 1/2" thick, 12-15 foot long.

I pay 50p plus vat each, including delivery.

You could sell it for a fair bit more, depending on local demand. I've found it really quite hard to find a good supplier and I buy by the artic-load!

If you dont mind me asking, do they need to be green to use for hedgeing, and pointed or straight??

Good thread btw

If you dont mind me asking, do they need to be green to use for hedgeing, and pointed or straight??

Good thread btw

I do mind you asking, how dare you!:biggrin:

Or I suppose not really. Binders need to be green, as they have to be flexible enough to twist together.

Stakes not so much, as they just need to be rigid and stake-like. Depending on availability and local style etc people use hazel, oak or other hardwood rods or sawn stakes. They only have to last for a few years to support the hedge whilst it heals the cuts you've made.

My stakes all arrive pointed, and are dead straight, though a small curve here and there can be quite usefull to fit in awkward places.

Binders can only be straight-ish really as they need to be a single stem. They need to not have any side-shoots or branches on.

Though one could get unpointed stakes and twiggy binders it's so much extra hassle when out by the hedge that unless you prepare all the stuff before you go out you really don't want to be bothered with it. Doing that means opening all the bundles, going through them all, pointing, snedding and re-tying them all etc.