Do all professional chainsaw users think joe public users are fools?

egnsean

For those who got my comment wrong:

1. What I've really meant was that 'well done for surviving' the initial learning process. Wearing no PPE and having no supervision whatsoever while using the saw for the first few times sounds pretty damn dangerous to me. But people do lods of other dangerous things..hence...

2. I couldn't care less what you do to yourself. You asked for our opinion - I gave you mine.

I personally wouldn't dare trying to use the chainsaw with no experienced people around purely because I'm a wimp and value my life far too much.

All in all, I think you don't really need any paper to prove that you know what you are doing but what you do need is someone experienced around while you learn. Sometimes it's simply not worth learning from your mistakes...:001_smile:

sorry odd bird my misunderstanding :001_smile:

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh er,

As a farmers son I grew up watching my father using a chainsaw, I tink I started about 14 on my own,without PPE now 51, never had any training, but am handier than any of the guys I work with......though only occassional chainsaw users. they have recieved the basic cross cutting course, they cant sharpen a saw...take it to the local shop....I can however sharpen a chain= self taught.

Our work saw when borrowed always comes back knackered, despite assurances that the borrower is competent, understands how to use & not abuse etc, etc, etc. It is no longer loaned out. Period>

I am terrifed of heights so you wont catch me very far up a tree, however I have felled them, mostly conifers ( incl windthrown ) and a few bigger hardwoods, I think the biggest was probably about a 30" butt.

But why would I not?& they have always went where I intended ( PS I mouth a bit on the generous side, to be sure to be sure)

I have however watched alledgedly trained staff as above

(i) attempting to cut asphalt

(ii) working as a team, one points with bare hands saying "cut it there" while the other (the asphalt cutter) revs the saw, in anticipition.

I truly respect what you guys do, however imho good saw men are born not made same as excavator operators....i.e "one cant fix stupid"

To date I have survived without injury except a bad back & tennis elbow, I now mostly wear the PPE trousers, especially when working alone.

Edited by difflock

I was looking at that "Show us your gob" or whatever it was called post.

I did pick up on the smaller mouth = more leverage for the wedge.

So still a bit to larn:blushing::confused1:

PS

When my father was felling the wheen of big ash around the farm,( wit a Reminton saw, a proper bitch to start, when hot??)

anyway uncle T... could not let him finish the felling cut before pulling them over with the tractor & wire rope.

Some full & frank exchanges generally followed.

this may be one reason I prefer to work alone.

Cheers

M

Its all down to common sense and the right attitude at the end of the day someone had to learn them selves to then be able to pass that knowlage on to others !

The competence scheme is very good and the training provided by trainerss will and does get those green or seasoned to look at the safty and use aspects in a controlled environment also at the end of it you get a cretificate and card to prove to others that require to see it that you have had relevent training and on that day passed the required assesments to be able to have said certificate etc

I personally learned from my father then went on to do my CS30/31(a+b lol ) and cs36 whilst at college doing my Ag machinery course ! that showed me the correct ways and ironed out my bad habbits still doesent mean im an A1 opperator or a Z- opperator i know my limits i can asses the situation and i will call upon more experience collegues if required !

Common sense is being lost amoung the miriad of H+S info alot of which is very usefull but can be a drag !

I have been using ladders and steps since as far as i can remember but tomorrow work has arranged a safe use of ladders course for me and several others maybe as a excercise to tick a box but hell i know i will learn something from it maybe be told alot of stuff i knew but as a reminder and learning is always usefull hopefully i will be safer although alot should be common sense !

David

I think its great that anyone can walk into a shop and buy an 088.Basic Chainsaw tickets don't teach you how to use a saw like that,much in the same way your Car Licence dose not teach you how to handle a big V8.Its nice to know there are still a few little "Freedoms" to be had.

Chainsaws are not that dangerous,not really.Its abit like this job we do,for most of us its the most exciting,Macho,different and unusual thing we have done regularly.So in that sence,Chainsaws may well be the most dangerous destructive and scary thing we have handled or used.

Edited by Mike Hill

ok, will you please remove the bar from your saw and post some pics.

most on here will know what it looks like, but if you can tell us, then we'll agree that training is waste of time and money - and lets all go gunho and cut down trees! wwaaahaayy!!!!

sorry whos this directed at, dont understand:confused1:

sorry if any offence taken i by no means think your job isnt dangerous it prob one of the most dangerous jobs around and you have my full respect for your skill and dedication, its just the odd one who demeans the people like myself who just cut a bit off firewood without training, i for one would not have the guts to do your job and am not afraid to admit it!!

Wanna miners lamp up there? :001_rolleyes::001_tt2:

Could I jump ship to another topic regarding training vis-a-vis innate ability.

Many year ago I were in the TA, at one annual camp we had to do a confidence course through woodland, all between 20 and 40 feet up.

I hated it.

However a bright young spark offen a rough estate was lapping it up.

So anyways one of the PSI's to show off slides face first down the death slide, our young man pipes up & asks "can I try that?" sure go ahead says the PSI thinking it was a wind up....and he promptly did it perfectly....first time no training necessary.

The PSI near **** himself.

With all the training in the world I could not have done it...ever.

Some can...some cant.

Not really sure how this is relevent but hey i'm avoiding filling in my overdue FAC paperwork. sigh.