pre 97 licence

Ollie Wall

Nope, it's 3.5t + whatever the vehicle can legally tow behind it if you've done the test.

I'm amazed that 10+years on from the change people don't understand it. All the information is out there mainly on the dvla and dsa website, yes there are some areas that are a bit grey but if your driving a vehicle, YOU need to take responsibilty for knowing what you can and can't do. Ignorance is no defence.

R

So this then:

Category B+E: Vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes MAM towing trailers over 750kgs MAM

Category B+E allows vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes MAM to be combined with trailers in excess of 750kgs MAM. In order to gain this entitlement new category B licence holders have to pass a further practical test for category B+E. There is no category B+E theory test. For driver licensing purposes there are no vehicle/trailer weight ratio limits for category B+E.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with UKMINCH...you need to know what you can tow and carry legally as ignorance of the law is no defense...look on the Gov web site and that will help. But anyone who has not got a pre97 can tow a trailer (or chipper in most cases for you) up to 750kgs with a 3.5t transit and the MAM (maximum authorized mass) must not exceed 3.5 t... so transit empty and the chipper 750kgs say is 2900kgs (approx) that allows you to carry 600kgs...that needs to include yourselves ,tools etc...so might get 300kgs or 400kgs of woodchips etc... if you do your trailer test your towing capabilities increase but you must not exceed your MAM at any time...so think what you are towing with vehicle wise...hopes this helps a bit....

the legalitys are even better than that IF the Trailer weight plate says 3500kgs MAM then the towing vehicle must also state that it is allowed to tow 3500kgs so you take a pick up rated to tow 3200kgs and put a trailer plated to 3500kgsMAM on the back you are illegal and un insured ! due to the fact the trailer has the potential ! there for you have to have the trailer derated on the weight plate !

Dont worry all Landrovers except the freelander are rated to tow 3500kgs ! :)

Lots of pick ups are not !

its not the old ill that will do you its VOSA !

i know this as after a recent accident with my old 16 foot ifor i had to tell the Police officer the regs etc for trailers as he "wasnt so hot" on the knowlage lol !!!!

Just goes to show !

just as an asisde doing both your class 1 and 2 LGV (HGV) still doesent give yout he trailer entitlemnet on your car license ! stupid i know but my friend did both class 1 and 2 and still had to do the trailer test for his lisence aswell stupid government ideas !

The DVLA must've made a mistake on his licence, as he should've got his B+E

How to add higher categories to your driving licence (staging and upgrading) : Directgov - Motoring

Agree with UKMINCH...you need to know what you can tow and carry legally as ignorance of the law is no defense...look on the Gov web site and that will help. But anyone who has not got a pre97 can tow a trailer (or chipper in most cases for you) up to 750kgs with a 3.5t transit and the MAM (maximum authorized mass) must not exceed 3.5 t... so transit empty and the chipper 750kgs say is 2900kgs (approx) that allows you to carry 600kgs...that needs to include yourselves ,tools etc...so might get 300kgs or 400kgs of woodchips etc... if you do your trailer test your towing capabilities increase but you must not exceed your MAM at any time...so think what you are towing with vehicle wise...hopes this helps a bit....

Pretty sure you can have 4250Kg train weight on a license with no trailer test- if its a 750Kg trailer...

the legalitys are even better than that IF the Trailer weight plate says 3500kgs MAM then the towing vehicle must also state that it is allowed to tow 3500kgs so you take a pick up rated to tow 3200kgs and put a trailer plated to 3500kgsMAM on the back you are illegal and un insured ! due to the fact the trailer has the potential ! there for you have to have the trailer derated on the weight plate !

My local ifor dealer told me last summer they had changed the rules so you can tow bigger. For example my L200 can only tow 2700Kg but could tow a trailer plated to 3500Kg as long as its laden weight never exceeds the 2700Kg... I have not confirmed it yet but he seemed to know his stuff...

I'm in need of getting a couple of guys through trailer test.

Any one have any experience of the training?

How long, where you did it, cost etc?

appreciated

What the others said.

But watch out for dodgy HGV training companies- I trained with one called AdvantageHGV and it was not a pleasant experience, I would recommend you avoid them and similar companies. Type the company name into google and look for 'reviews' before going ahead.

I have heard alot of people fail because you have to reverse and hitch up in one attempt! Watch bad habits like crossing hands- better to get out of the habit a week before the training so you can concentrate on learning more important stuff.

Charlie