pre 97 licence

Ollie Wall

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in need of getting a couple of guys through trailer test.

Any one have any experience of the training?

How long, where you did it, cost etc?

appreciated :001_smile:

Did mine two years ago. Can't remember who it was with but the HGV centre put me in touch. Some agri colleges run the training. You turn up and they have a suitable vehicle and box trailer (a chipper wont do). You then practice doing the reversing:

1. drive upto a cone and stop

2. Reverse around a cone behind you and head across a the test area diaganally.

3. Reverse into a parking bay not hitting the barier and lining the trailer so its wheels line up in the line in the box.

You can have 2 shuts which one of which counts as a minor faul if memory serves. You fail if you cross the lines either side of the car which represent a kerb. After that there is an emergancy stop. Then off out on the road for a regular driving test (this is where i failed first time). Then back to the centre to unhitch the trailer and reverse onto it and conect it all up and do all the checks.

Training is about a day-half to a day and the test is a couple of hours. About £500 quid per person i think. I did mine in Abingdon in Oxford but you can do it at any HGV test centre.

iirc the place round here its anything between £400 - £600 depending on whats required not sure if that includes aranging the test fee etc but usually includes use of there vehicle trailer combo

Did mine two years ago. Can't remember who it was with but the HGV centre put me in touch. Some agri colleges run the training. You turn up and they have a suitable vehicle and box trailer (a chipper wont do). You then practice doing the reversing:

1. drive upto a cone and stop

2. Reverse around a cone behind you and head across a the test area diaganally.

3. Reverse into a parking bay not hitting the barier and lining the trailer so its wheels line up in the line in the box.

You can have 2 shuts which one of which counts as a minor faul if memory serves. You fail if you cross the lines either side of the car which represent a kerb. After that there is an emergancy stop. Then off out on the road for a regular driving test (this is where i failed first time). Then back to the centre to unhitch the trailer and reverse onto it and conect it all up and do all the checks.

Training is about a day-half to a day and the test is a couple of hours. About £500 quid per person i think. I did mine in Abingdon in Oxford but you can do it at any HGV test centre.

thanks fellas

very helpful :thumbup1:

I've done my trailer test as only passed driving test in late 1998 and I'm still none the wiser on what I can and can't carry. As far as I understand though, 3,500kg is my maximum total weight so long as the trailer weight does not exceed the vehicle weight, so can drive a 2,000kg vehicle while towing 1,500kg trailer + load. Or something like that.

But then sometimes I hear that max weight including vehicle, trailer and load is 7,500kg.

:confused1:

Nope, it's 3.5t + whatever the vehicle can legally tow behind it if you've done the test.

I'm amazed that 10+years on from the change people don't understand it. All the information is out there mainly on the dvla and dsa website, yes there are some areas that are a bit grey but if your driving a vehicle, YOU need to take responsibilty for knowing what you can and can't do. Ignorance is no defence.

R

If that's true it's ridicullous!

Im sure that is true, i remember hearing it on the radio.

They changed it because nobody was taking the test, and they were worried there would be a lack of drivers in years to come.

At 21 people who had wanted to drive at 18, but couldnt, choose another direction/career. So by the time they were 21 and able to take the test, it no longer appealed to them.

Something like that anyway...

our guy did test last year for about 400 at an hgv test centre that was for one day training then test next day. h said it was not hard just get out of bad driving habits .the guy at the centre was really helpful even suggested you can try the test straight off without instruction if you feel confident but you must have proper trailer ie box or one with headboard so you cant see through