Is Hardwood chip worth anything £££ ?

Pete Hart

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apologies if this has been done before.....

Is their any commercial value in hardwood chip (clean of course!) ?

Or shall i just continue to pay my tipping fees at the local green waste proccessing plant!!

I've just sold 4 artics of woodchips, they use them for small power stations. The only thing they ask for is that you load them up with a teleporter or similar with a massive bucket. For that piece of kit try a friendly farmer. They won't like any logs mixed in, even the odd log. Try AHS ltd amongst others if the quality is good. Most of my chips seem to be cypress, certainly not nice hardwood chips like yours.

I was given Boomeco's number by Daniel Upton, who is just outside wimborne, near you.

Boomeco

They buy chip @ around £10/ ton IIRC, but it has to have no logs, sticks or what have you in it. They will rarely buy it unless it is stored on concrete (they dont want stones) and you need 28 cube ready for them and a telehandler to load to 4.2 metres high (the height of the bulker it goes in).

Cheers guys, by sounds of it i could just be creating hassle ( telehandlers, big loads, etc etc).

Just had a thought... when i've got nice clean harwood chip I may just bag it up into 50kg animal feed sacks and try and flog it to gardeners etc!

Just seems a shame to be tipping away good quality product.

Obviously connifer and such like is a waste of time!

There is always value in woodchip for the power stations etc, they will pay for the hire of a Matbro Loader if you have enough of them too. This means they need to be loaded with 27t of chip to make the load and the lorry has a weigh system in the floor to measure this.

However the hire of the Matbro will reduce what value you get per tonne of woodchip.

Try Stobart they were interested the last time I moved some out.

If you are paying to tip (I guess thats £30/tonne) then the value of your 27tonnes of chip would be rather more than £10 per tonne so would be economic.

Try golf courses/ fishing lakes/ garden centres etc etc they usually will be happy for a pile to use on paths and the like- though I doubt if they'll pay.

Landscapers also looking for chip- you do need to do some phoning round though

Could be good for business i.e developing contacts