346xp - stock bar and chain?

Ty Unnos

Hi All,

I have ordered a 346xpg with 15" bar.

Been doing some background reading and it looks like the 346xp can run a 1.3mm narrow bar or a 1.5mm bar.

Also there seem to be different chains:

H30 for the 1.3mm bar.

Or H21, H25, H28 for the 1.5mm bar.

Does anyone know what the 346xp is fitted with as its stock bar and chain?

In the USA it seems to come with the 1.3mm bar and H30 low kickback chain.

If this is the same in the UK is this the right set-up for a user with little experience doing CS30 / 31?

Cheers

Hi there,

If you're just starting up doing chainsaw work then buying a stock chainsaw new is fine. Just take the chain that comes with it as standard.

I'm not so familiar with Husqvarna chains but you will find there are different chains out there that work in slightly different ways. You can have full chiesel chain, micro chiesel, semi chisel and chipper (although this mainly for .404 larger chainsaws). And then to further complicate matters you can have differenciations within these groups. And to complicate matters even more the manufactuers like to add their own name to similar type chain! :sneaky2:

For the smaller to mid range saws you can get bars that will run narrower chains. You can also change the drive sprocket to get different gearing.

It's a whole subject in itself but in summary I'd say what you've ordered is fine to get you going.

:biggrin:

the 346xp runs on a 1.5 bar and chain as standard,the 1.3 is just a narrow kerf,

the chain pitch is the same .325

i would not use a narrow kerf bar and chain on cs 30/31,because the felling bar plate is the same thickness as the standard bar and chain[1.5mm]so if you use narrow kerf [1.3] you may have trouble getting your felling bar into your backcut:blushing:

the 346xp runs on a 1.5 bar and chain as standard,the 1.3 is just a narrow kerf,

the chain pitch is the same .325

i would not use a narrow kerf bar and chain on cs 30/31,because the felling bar plate is the same thickness as the standard bar and chain[1.5mm]so if you use narrow kerf [1.3] you may have trouble getting your felling bar into your backcut:blushing:

Yep 346 comes with the 1.5mm as standard. I once set up a tree to do a split level cut with a MS200 and then wondered why my felling bar wouldn't fit in the cut:thumbup:

Didnt someone on here get kicked off a course because the 346 they took was to powerful ie chain speed,he or she didnt have the correct ballistic trousers,i think they had type a and the requirement was a type c,but i may have that all wrong worth checking though,as for bars and chains mine came with a standaed 15 inch huskey bar and an Oregon chain.

Didnt someone on here get kicked off a course because the 346 they took was to powerful ie chain speed,he or she didnt have the correct ballistic trousers,i think they had type a and the requirement was a type c,but i may have that all wrong worth checking though,as for bars and chains mine came with a standaed 15 inch huskey bar and an Oregon chain.

dont think its the power of the saw brian,more like the bar length cs30/31 max bar length 15"

the power thing?i used a 357xp on my cs 30/31

the 4 saws to the 4 candidates were (2) 346xps and (2) 357xps:thumbup:

on cs30/31 front protection only trousers[type a] are fine,you can even wear chaps

all round protection [type c] are recomended for cs39 [climbing]

Edited by Martyn Amos
spelling

Hi All

Thanks for the replies.

Regarding the saw vs trousers: I am hoping I will be ok with type C / class 1 trousers.

I believe the class 1 bit means they are rated to 20m/s.

Now the 346xp has a max chain speed of 18.5m/s

The 357xp has a max chain speed of 21.4m/s so in theory you need class 2 or above trousers.

If it's the same post that I remember the candidate was told he could not use his 357xp because his trousers were class 1 and only rated for a chain speed of 20 m/s.

Husqvarna quote 21.4 m/s at 9600 rpm(max power) as the chainspeed for a 357 with a 7 tooth 3/8" sprocket.With a 7 tooth 0.325" sprocket the chain speed would be 18.5 m/s and an 8 tooth 0.325" sprocket the speed would be 21.2 m/s.

So it would appear that a 7 tooth 0.325" sprocket should be used with class 1 trousers.(Just don't tell the instructor that at max speed (13500 rpm) the chain will be doing 26 m/s)