beaten by a tree?

MattyF

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You did'nt say there was other work to do on site Matt, was that scheduled or did you do it cause you was there anyway? Not that it matters.

I don't get this idea that if you walk away from a job it shows that your a pussy and not upto the job. O.k in some cases this could be true.

But I look at it as a safty call made by someone with knowledge and experience. That should garner more respect, than the fool who decided to do it anyway and ignore the risks!

Sometimes its good to listen to those voices in your head! sometimes!

What would be the damage to your reputation, and even your life had it gone wrong??

Only once have I been on a job where the climb was cancelled due to winds, the climber was well up for it, but the boss with 25 plus years experience made the call. We had plenty of other work to do on site that was safer in the conditions.

I respect there is a hell of a lot of machoism in tree work, but really its all bollocks!!

I dont think Matty would have died doing it, but the phone wires would have been trashed. I've actually done that kind of tree before over phone wires. the limb I roped off was pushed hard by the wind, and caught the cables, snapping them. stupid of me to attempt it.

Also dresses are for wearing around the house at the weekend, not climbing in :D

I have just spent three days crown lifting 100 poplars in the wind and I am bloody glad it's over. I've not been climbing that long and am sure that you guys would have breezed it, but I feel like I've been running on adrenalin for 3 days and I'm knackered!!

More to the point, I think it you made a good decision Matty. Thanks for posting it here and making the rest of us feel better about the odd nerves now and again!!

• 8 months later...

This all seems like a real no-brainer to me. As I have read, there will always be someone willing to push it a little further than you, for the glory, and because unfortunately common sense doesn't really apply to everyone in the arboriculture, or more accurately the tree surgery business. I am not a qualified tree surgeon, but I work at height every day, usually about 60ft above ground on a high wire course in mixed coniferous and broadleaved woodland. On days when the wind is above 28mph (force 6) or excessive dead wood is falling we close. in my time that has been about once every week or two. Customers are disappointed and business lost, but with no injuries or lives lost, this is a small price.

The guy who advises us on the trees paints an accurate picture of the impossibility to accurately predict what a tree may do. A dead tree standing could stay standing for many years, a healthy tree could go in strong winds because of factors you couldn't predict easily from the ground. Personal judgement is key and you can't expect a customer to want you to climb in dangerous conditions, if they do then they can get someone who is braver, and potentially at higher risk to do it. No sleep lost.