beaten by a tree?

MattyF

Personally have never bottled it on a Tree,thats why its worth while to give it a good looking at when pricing ,Weigh up the options ,Could be a slippery slope if you start swerving jobs ,Theres enough safety/back up equipment to tackle any tree job ,Theres also the embarrasment factor with the customer ,,once again just my opinion for what its worth,

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was always told that when the tail of your rope is blowing at a 45 degree angle then its to windy.

I've never worked on a BIG Popular but have have climbed one for fun, and I can honestly say it was'nt fun. Sod trying to do one in difficult conditions.

closest ive come to death was when i had a big lombardy that was once part of an avenue of them .

we where repollarding really should of been felling but the council would not let us, had a green house and very tight garden and a road on the other side of the tree.

I was spiking up the poles to tip rope them off with a lowering point set at the top of the biggest and had just changed my anchore point to one of the back stems i had already roped half off to feel a bit more stable in the wind, when i came to cutting off the next stem to be lowered the tree tore off at the base of the pollard bowl basically taking half the remaining canopy ...the roping point stem and my old stem that i was anchored on to with it.....amazingly it twisted in the wind to fill up the whole garden and landed about 3" away from the green house! had to have a ciggy break and my legs where shakin like elvis!

I know of one guy locally who had the same thing happen to him unfortunietly he hit the ground first wich they recon he would of survived but was crushed by the popular he had just attempted to rig.

I dont mind working on popular when theres not much wind they are one of the easyest trees to work on just very brittle and act like sails in the wind and have done my fare share in stupid conditions ....i remember felling another lombardy popular that should of been rigged but it was so windy i could just cut bits off and they would sail over the garage under it straight to the chipper it was in for a day and it was down by 10 am.

Well as I see it , Matty you did what you believed to be right under those circumstances.

I havent looked at all the posts coz to be honest I couldnt be arsed

From the impression Matty gave me when I met him, I seriously doubt any tree is going to Beat him not permanently any how.

It may shake his nerve but I bet I know ultimatley who will win ' The dude with the saw'

Steve has a valid point from a business perspective Not that I think he was having a pop at matty he was just saying it as he sees it

ie

if a company back heels too many jobs , then the customer will ime call someonelse too do it They ( the new co') will then embelish it & take great pleasure in informing anyone you'll listen that their competitor is not upto big tree work, that kind of background muttering among the locals, won't do anyones business profile any good at all !