• Occasionally
    • Every day
    • No Training
    • Yes training should be provided

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My brother had a young lad working with him once who thought he would karate chop the chain brake on:confused1: he missed and cut his hand open!

These are the type of people who should not be using saws one handed

These are the type of people that shouldn't be using saws full stop!! haha!!!

Probably shouldn't let out the house unsupervised either!! haha!!:biggrin:

Too right, i work for a Conservation Trust in Shropshire, mainly in woods so most of the time im left alone, but occasionaly the big boss or the local Planning Officer will come an have a look, if i was caught using the 200t with one hand, that would be my career over. It does annoy me however that the young recruits (And even the supervisors) can pretty much cut one handed and no one bats an eyelid, when working on the Council gang..

i work for one of the largest companys in europe and have climbed with them since i was seventeen working on price in various boroughs of london/hertford shire. we get paid according to how much we earn the firm on a daily basis so time is of the esence. im not saying that you should never use the saw one handed but it should be reserved for when absoloutly essential. when i first learned to climb i was taught to cut and hold. its all right untill you dont get away with it. there is usualy an alternative. endless sling choked around the branch with a sep cut for instance. or is that just nonsense? seems to work for me and i still get paid! encouraging one handed use when not needed is a silly risk i.m.o. that way lies disaster for less experienced folk.

not on here much, as much as our lorry anyway ha but i think what ive read dean lofthouse has put some good points across! my own oppinion is you should always respect the saw you using if you are competent enough to do something with it 1 handed which you feel will be safer and not out of stupidity or to look cool:thumbup1: then it definately works! experience and a good understanding of the job is the key thing, i would never encourage anyone to do it 1 handed but there has been situations were ive went to use the saw 2 hands and realised i was safer holding my rope n reaching out with 1 hand, any way good thread dean :thumbup:

ive found that its usually cos they're learning to cut and hold!

Learning wrongly....

Which is why they should be taught correctly :001_smile:

I have spent the last three days taking out 21 large trees, I made a mental note of whether the cuts made whilst climbing some could have been done one or two handed safely and easily (no targets beneath)

On one knarly Oak inparticular (which was being cleaned rather than take down) getting to and work positioning on some of the branches and deadwood to be removed, would have been a lot more dangerous and nigh on impossible, than just reaching out and nipping off one handed...and with the saw being at full arms length and bar 90 degree to forearm, virtually impossible to get injured in the event of kickback.

I do find it extremely difficult to believe, that tree all ariel tree work can be carried out efficiently and safely keeping two hands on the saw at all times.

I think you would be putting yourself in more danger trying to get out and position yourself for two hand use, ending up going out onto thinner branches and risking footholds snapping, which in turn could result in devastating injuries