240 members have voted

1. 1. Have you use a 200t one handed and should training be provided

• Never, not even once
    • Very rarely
    • Occasionally
    • Every day
    • No Training
    • Yes training should be provided

i know that most people prefer the lazy option of one handing in the the name of production but really are the jobs priced that tight that you need to go that far to save a few seconds and risk weeks off with a chainsaw injury, just a thought!!

A few seconds plus repositioning plus unpositioning, believe me....I can save hours in a day not seconds

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few seconds plus repositioning plus unpositioning, believe me....I can save hours in a day not seconds

Why would you need to keep on repositioning and positioning to use a hand saw, maybe a very entry level climber would be able to save hours as they take so long to do anything in a tree, but i was talking about a reasonable climber with average tree climbing skills when you get better you will not take so many hours in a day positioning and re positioning giving you time to use a ms200t in a safe and efficient manner " Both Hands "

Why would you need to keep on repositioning and positioning to use a hand saw, maybe a very entry level climber would be able to save hours as they take so long to do anything in a tree, but i was talking about a reasonable climber with average tree climbing skills when you get better you will not take so many hours in a day positioning and re positioning giving you time to use a ms200t in a safe and efficient manner " Both Hands "

Absolutely nothing to do with skill or "how good a climber" you are, resorting to that argument is bottom of the barrel.

I cut one handed a fair bit. Seems to be almost second nature and to be perfectly honest I'm sick and tired of the H&S beurocrats dictating what I can and can't do. Whatever happened to common sense and learning from your mistakes. Fine, there's a limit on some things that are down right stupid but where do you draw the line. Do I need a H&S official to help me cross the road now just in case I don't look both ways or is it left to my common sense to cross the road safely? I reckon sooner or later we won't even be able to think for ourselves; an automoton almost.

Due to shoulder complaints (quite possibly from cutin n chuckin) I'm not climbing at the moment so its been very interesting to watch from the deck. This thread has made me watch other climbers closely and i now agree with you Dean. The amount of "nonsense" cuts done with one hand is shoking, and down right dangerous at times.

One handing will ALWAYS happen with in the industry even though it goes against what we have been taught. The stupid thing is i've had first hand accounts from people who once passing cs39 were told by instructors "its fine to cut with one hand now". I think if instructors had their way then there would quite possibly be such training. But the powers that be will never allow it.

I've never seen one decent climber which strictly uses two hands on a saw, seen a few who think they are though!

To me, one-handed use is part of arb. Like most things, it has it's time and place. Sometimes you can draw a sharp Silky, cut the branch and have it back in it's scabbard before you would have started an O20. Other times, you can't.

What I don't like seeing (and still see a lot) is completely unnecessary one-handing. Hold with left-cut with right, drop. Repeat 300 times. You're in a field FFS, why not just cut the bit with two hands on the saw, seeing as you are just throwing it straight down anyway? Doh!

You are a RSI statistic waiting to happen. Good luck with your short career!

I want to climb into my sixties, not my thirty-sixes!

Deano and I are going to team up and offer short courses in one handed chainsaw use later this year. I will be demonstrating 'how not to', Dean will sort the safe, efficient boring stuff. £500 each, refreshments after. Dates TBA.:001_tt2:

P.S. Discount for Mr. L. Thompson for his kind offer to sort my folks logs out in the snow, sorted now mate, ta. They got their car back down the road last Friday. First time since November!

£450 for you pal!:thumbup1: