top infeed roller hyd ram fitting.

Danny H

im hoping to fit a hyd ram to my woodchipper top infeed roller ,but not sure how to hose it.as iv never used on im not sure what to expect.:001_smile:

(1) first of all how does this system work in the first place. is it usually spring acctuated until the rollers slips. and then you press down the ram.

(2) also is a hyd ram system much better then a spring tentioned top roller in the first place?

(3) is it a single or double acting ram used.

(4)do i place my spool valve between the pump and the roller motor.if so do the rollers stop turning when i move the ram.

If this is for chippers of the larger size, the only person I know to have fitted, retrospectively, infeed roller assist ram is Alex Price of AC Price Engineering - Home and that is to some of the hiezohack chipper range , if it is for ? smaller chippers I have seen in the past a lever attached to top roller allowing downward pressure to be applied to increase infeed drive to material .

i know David Riding had one fitted on a green mech chiper that was on the back of his mog

They are factory fitted and if its like the one I used years ago, its for opening the rollers, so that larger cord wood can be fed in more easily, not for applying greater pressure.

its a jensen A041 chipper, with its own engine . and has around 12" x 16" opening. it has difficulty taking in brash at times. the rollers slip alot and where there is a joint in a branch.i will sharpen infeed rollers, but recon it should be capable of taking in brash alot quicker for its size. im thinking of getting a crane to feed it if thats what it takes to speed up the process.but am aware disk chippers should not be crane fed.