vintage chainsaws

burrell_

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oldest I have in collection is the Dolmar CL from 1939.

First in line here:

006.jpg

hpim1157pd3.jpg

030-2.jpg

I ran out of walls to put shelvs on...

018.jpg

Good grief!!! I thought I needed help when my collection reached 92 saws! Tis now a much more lowly number of around 15!

Not many left now; the oldest is the Contra Lightening but my fave is the Dolmar 133 which is spotless.

03112010974.jpg.ae31c2dd5c2287b3144d4a366712cfa1.jpg

01122009145.jpg.c6b15331dc7e56ecb7d610b2fbd48af2.jpg

59765902577c8_SD133new1.jpg.652602f0731c292e966262412fb6684d.jpg

11032010445.jpg.f0bf599b307273f79e3e676786e5c6dd.jpg

05112010980.jpg.3aa1c9895ed1565ae984307167b7f367.jpg

I picked up an 070 just before christmas in absolute mint condition not even a paint scratch underneath, even has the original supplier sticker on it. Replaced the fuel and away it went third pull!!!! (I did know its history though).

It has huge torque, sounds like a motorbike but certainly has those 70's vibes. I got it to run on a big stihl planking mill that requires two saws (one on each end), but the whole set up may just be too heavy.

It is an awesome saw and a jaw dropper when used, but give me a modern saw any day. If you want one for the occasional fun outing or as a collector great, apart from that I think their position in the modern work place has certainly been and gone.

(All said though it is a little like older forbidden fruit when you're a teenager - you know it's unlikely and wrong, but you want to get your hands on one):001_tt2:

I picked up an 070 just before christmas in absolute mint condition not even a paint scratch underneath, even has the original supplier sticker on it. Replaced the fuel and away it went third pull!!!! (I did know its history though).

It has huge torque, sounds like a motorbike but certainly has those 70's vibes. I got it to run on a big stihl planking mill that requires two saws (one on each end), but the whole set up may just be too heavy.

It is an awesome saw and a jaw dropper when used, but give me a modern saw any day. If you want one for the occasional fun outing or as a collector great, apart from that I think their position in the modern work place has certainly been and gone.

(All said though it is a little like older forbidden fruit when you're a teenager - you know it's unlikely and wrong, but you want to get your hands on one):001_tt2:

Post some pics.:thumbup1:

I'll take pics of both and post them on later today.

The oldest saw I ever used was one we had at home that came from my grandfather. It was powered by a Wolsey Merry Tiller rotorvator from the side PTO. The 'flexi shaft' from engine to saw was madly heavy. We had a hedge cutter set up the same. It put my dad off buying a chainsaw for years so spent most of my youth with a 2 man bow saw and axe - he did of course buy a modern saw the moment I left home.

Only sold the rotorvator about 5 years ago on ebay to a collector with all attachments and the original sale ticket etc. It still ran.