Rebuilding an old Saw Bench

windfall

Made a decision on the saw, have decided to remove the JAP engine and fit the 11hp Honda GX340 motor I have. The main reason i am bottling it with the JAP is because of how hard it is to start, using my goped is simply not practical, also the amount of time and effort i am going to have to throw at it to bring it up to a useable standard. I need it working for me now!

The only issue i will have is with the drive pulley, it will need sleeving from 1.5inch to 1inch to match the GX. But other than that it would be a mater of drilling 4 holes in the base plate and cutting off and replacing the tensioner bolts so that i can adjust the belt tension to suit which needs doing anyway.

I will take the GX round to the Doc tomorrow and seek his help with the pulley.

However, i will take a video of the JAP running and post it here before i remove it as it is a sight to behold!

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are giving the old JAP one last chance... took a video of her in action today. The timing is still not right, black smoke is telling us that the spark it happening too late. So the Mag has been removed again for further fettling.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyLC4I2XDrM]YouTube - 00215[/ame]

LOL yes it is a bit chitty chitty bang bang isnt it!

I have managed to buy a twin cylinder Petter diesel engine with the correct rotation, its been sat for years and years but with clean fuel she fired right up yesterday second rotation!

So that is going on in stead of the JAP mainly because the JAP is so god dam hard to start and its still not running as it should. But also the Petter is going to be cheaper to run.

The JAP has been removed and i am replacing the tensioner bolts etc this week so Pulley permitting i should be running shortly.

Thanks for the tip re the pulley, ill contact them re a 1.5inch triple for the petter.

The JAP has been removed and i am replacing the tensioner bolts etc this week so Pulley permitting i should be running shortly.

Just in time for the steam fair season then? :biggrin:

Those rivet counters aren’t going to like the engine swap but one of them will definitely buy that JAP off you.

:thumbup:

As i am on the Isle of Man the shipping costs will rule out selling the JAP on i think.

Hmmmmn

A vintage motorbike engine for sale on an island.

I see your point.

It’s a pity the place doesn’t get inundated with bikers on an annual basis, one of them might want it, or at least ship it home for someone who does.

:thumbup1:

Its not a vintage motor bike engine, its a vintage stationary engine, yes JAP made very fancy motor bike engines but this is certainly not one of them.

As well as high performance bike engines they also made stationary engines, this is one of those, they seem to fetch about £70 at most for a good runner on ebay. Mine is not a good runner as you can hear in the video! The timing is still well out and the magneto does not provide a spark, i have it wired up as a dead loss system just using the original points to provide the bang. But somewhere in the conversion i have lost the timing. arse.

Yes I agree the engine is not quiet, but it has not exhaust at all, more of a loudner!

So Mr Sarcastic :laugh1: i very much doubt one of the said bikers is going to want to install this motor which for the record weighs about 60kg and puts out all of 5hp into one of their high performance road bikes.

Edited by windfall