Have you ever bottled it?

gibbon

i remember once taking the head out of a large dead elm in a cemetery about 8 years ago and not being happy about it but i just got on with it anyway. when it was down i came down smiling then the grave digger shouted across to me this place is full of dead heroes son !!!! it made me think !!!

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I’m getting a bit bored of this now, but since I started it I’ll respond as best I can (in red).

The more I think about it the stranger this thread seems:confused1:

But having reread the original post, I wish I had paid more attention to the last line

So really right from the off, you have either "bottled it" or your a lier:sneaky2:

Had I’d have known it would end up being a 17page thread I’d maybe have put a bit more thought into the title. All I intednded to do was share my thoughts on a particular job which is what I thought this forum was for.

The strange thing is that if gibbon had answered a thread like this before this tree he would also have said no, yet now those who say that now are egotistical, testosterone filled big heads. Before I’d posted this I’d never left a job unfinished granted, so perhaps would have answered no if asked. Truth is though I think I would have been more reserved than to answer “no” publically.

Also many are says that those who have never left a job unfinished are unprofessional:confused1: I made my decision based on what I thought to be safe. Personally I feel its more professional to make a decision to stop work for safety reasons even if the decision proves to be unpopular.

This tree was being reduced for safety reasons? or to prevent it from being damaged by wind? Was being reduced to lessen the risk of a failure at close to ground level onto the path. The work I did before bottling probably achieved this, (especially so if we return to brace it) but did leave a funny looking top.

Which clearly has not been achieved, is that professional? You tell me? I realise we are in a riskier line of work. Since when should someone enter the realms of feeling than their live is in real danger just to prune a bit more from a tree

If the limb was in danger of failing with 11 stone on it, I feel the wind will soon whip it off. Maybe it will, maybe it will not. Maybe it would have already failed if it was in a more exposed location.

Could the limb not have been temporarily braced with rigging gear, while its climbed and reduced?? I couldn’t figure out a way to do this at the time, doesn’t mean that it couldn’t. The trouble is that there was a large lump of tree above the defect and this was by far the tallest bit. There was nothing higher or at the same height to brace it too

Or as some have suggested use a MEWP. I knew at the time that the cost of the mewp made the job prohibitive. I explained after that it was the only safe way to do it. Would need a tracked 40m machine to get to site and reach over the chestnut.

Not only is there the safety issue and the tree being damaged, but also the other important trees around it which will also be damaged if this dangerous tree is just left. Surely it needs finishing?? As before, is it worth risking a climbers life to avoid damage to trees? Not in my book. Also, imo, its is irresponsible to take a greater risk in doing a job that the tree poses to human life if it were to fail.

The use of the word "bottled" in the title of this thread is surely wrong. The OP is now really saying the tree is unclimbable (or at least this part of it) so really this thread makes little sense, IMO.

Perhaps so. I wrote “bottled” because that’s how I felt about it. In years gone by I would have gone up there thinking that I’d rather die trying than to admit I couldn’t do it. I had a perverse sense of needing to prove my abilities to myself and my peers. I don’t have this anymore. Because of this drive to push myself I've worked on massive trees here in the in Rainforests overseas. When faced with the last 5m of this tree I was thinking of my wife and 2 daughters and felt genuinely scared. To put some sense of perspective to it I thought chances were it would be OK.I also thought if I climbed it 10 times I would expect it to fail once. If I’d slipped and swung underneath it a would have been scarey and shocking the stem by doing this would have been dangerous. On balance I thought, no thanks, there a couple of hangers in those Redwoods over there so I’ll make the day up by doing that instead.

I don't expect everyone to agree with me and don't really care if they don't. I like my job, but I'm begging to realise the reality that it really is something that might kill me. I can't always put this too the back of my mind anylonger and frankly don't think that its something any of us should do (except maybe Skyhuck as he seems to be the exception to every rule), roger, over and out.

I have declined to climb trees and got out of a few. I only climbed for 5 years and was never the best climber around so it doesn't really say much. However, I respect Matt's standpoint starting this thread having seen past pictures of his climbing abilities. No tree is worth risking your life over.

The risk may be real or it may not, but the only way you find out the former is when you take a fall...every climber has to listen to his instincts.

I think the problem is saying "bottled it" if you are good at your job know what you are talking about then you will know it's not safe to do it then you will find a safe way to finish the job. Over the years there has been jobs where the other climbers have said I should do certain dodgy looking trees as I'm the lightest being 12 st and them being about 12 and half stone or something they are the ones who have "bottled it" I think gibbon is being hard on himself saying he bottled it

Ah the good old macho world of a tree cutter. Several years ago, i had a newish climber out with me on one side of a site, the boss was across the way doing other trees. He'd sent us to section down a Chestnut. Nothing spectacular, probably only just 40ish feet high and probably equal spread. As the lad climbed it, I noticed an unusual movement of the tree. I asked him what he thought it felt like, and his reply was that he wasnt happy to do it. I pulled him off the job, sent him up other trees. At break, boss asked how we were doing, and I explained about the chestnut. He went off on one, questioning our parentage, questioning whats taught at college and so on. He huffed and puffed about having to do "everything" and climbed the Chestnut. Just after he had tied in to his TIP, moved around to start cutting, the whole tree fell over, the roots were shot, fortunately he was on the top side as it fell. Fortunately, he landed on his massive ego, which saved his any injury. If in doubt, get out, listen to your gut instinct, and live to work another day.

I left a Dead Ash. I was sure i could do it. Tree was over the house and I was preparing rubber mats and tarps on the lower roof and it was at this time I smelt the rot and could even taste it in the wind. Your senses do not lie, poke around and chop through sections you suspect.

Gave the work to a bucket tuck company, the home owner pays the price so we live another day.

• 1 year later...