Have you ever bottled it?

gibbon

Gibbon, do you know when the tear-out occurred?

Hypothetical really. After eating my own weight in turkey and mince pies recently, any tie in point for me needs to be sturdier than anything available on that tree!

I hope the tree is left as it is or an expensive MEWP priced in rather than send a gung-ho young 'un up.

Anyone who has never bottled it is lying, dead, or has never done anything.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Would changing to a dynamic rope at the top work? Then choke slings on the stem as you go up higher and put your climbing line through them, like lead climbing on rock. Might be a bit time consuming but if the anchor failed at least some of the energy would be absorbed and youwould be spreading the load more as you climbed higher? Or not?

I've had a few dodgy moments when ascending in open space and unsure of the anchor point, I've invested in binos for this reason now.

I'm sure you would have got out there Drew. After climbing down a volcano it would be a breeze.

But for me, putting slings lower down to catch me if the top 5m breaks out, whilst its attached my side strop then danging 100feet up isn't what I'm looking for in a days work. If thats what I need to do to get the job done then I'm not interested

Fair call bro, if it can't be done it can't be done. I suppose the biggest worry is someone without your experience rushing into it. You've started a great thread here and I'm sure there is going to be some interesting discussion.

Asking the experienced climbers, have you ever bottled it?

I did for the 1st time today. Had a 35+m twin stemmed Northofagus to reduce. The tallest stem has a lean over some other specimen trees so needed to be rigged out or climb out to the very ends and cut and chuck. I reduced 1 side then couldn't reduce the other. Couldn't climb the last 5m as it felt just too sketchy, I was sure it would break. Couldn't finish the job.

Ever happen to you? or too tough to admit it?

Honestly..............never:laugh1:

Good thread!

I've only ever bottled it due to lack of experience. The couple occasions I can think of now seem very silly and long ago. There have been several jobs recently though that have made me think "I'm glad this isn't a reduction because I wouldnt go any further" luckily it was never critical and the job was done. The jobs were specified suitably and it wasnt an issue. Could have been different and I'd have had to think a bit more laterally...