Can you recommend a pickup/4x4?

Kat1e

oh and with diesel costing the earth at the moment you can run the 200 & 300 on a mix of 50% diesel & 50% veg no problems if its colder put a bit more diesel in and if its mid summer you can get away with 70% veg just mix it before you put it in the tank. ;)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry ours is a 5 series skidsteer. ( even thats heavy with fluid weight).

A good friend of mine who is a digger driver has a landcruiser ( v reg) but top of the range with alot of bells and whistles. i took it to leeds to collect a 15m self propelled mewp (wouldnt know weight 3t ish with trailer?) and was very comfy, didnt really notice the journey where as in ranger or transit,i would of got out with back ache.

is there a certain disco commercial to avoid- the farmer at yard has a 110 defender td5 05 reg that had alot of engine issues when it hit 60k.

:confused1:

I have a lc amazon with lots of toys. Its only the toys that seem to go wrong ie air con, electric steering wheel, active suspension. The gs was 10k cheaper when new. I think one of those with manual box would be better as a work horse. They are heavy on fuel especially towing around lanes and parts are dear. They are extremely comfortable ultra reliable and tow 3.5 tonnne without effort.

I have a 53 plate td5 commercial disco now done 140k . Been very reliable good on fuel 30mpg loaded and driven hard. 25mpg with heavy trailer. Gearing is too high for pulling heavy trailers away from standstill. All Landrovers have a vague felling from the rear which u dont get with the LC.

For a work horse I would buy a trooper with 3.1 diesel dont touch the 3.0l

Hope I have not confused you even more.

Kat1e, here's a vid of what my landy will do all day every day, i daren't say what it carries and tows but they are the mutts for what you asked for. you should find a defender in your price range, i'd go for a 110 for towing and carrying as they are comfier and don't bounce as much as the 90's, i might be biased but there's a good reason:001_cool:

That vids speaks volumes :thumbup:

I would say either a Trooper or Jeep Cherokee.

I cant personally vouch for the pre-CRD Jeeps as my old 99 3.1TD GC was an utter and complete mega expensive let down.

Maybe the newer common rail ones are ok but apart from looks my slant on Jeeps is a no-no.

Anything with a trusted proven gearbox over 60k and well beyond is on my list.

That vids speaks volumes :thumbup:

i drove through there again 3days ago, forgot about the speedbump halfway through and nearly lost the toolbox and chainsaws out of the back of the truck, nearly lost me dinner too, with the 110 doing its best icebreaker impression through the 4inch ice on top of the mud:thumbup:

I have a lc amazon with lots of toys. Its only the toys that seem to go wrong ie air con, electric steering wheel, active suspension. The gs was 10k cheaper when new. I think one of those with manual box would be better as a work horse. They are heavy on fuel especially towing around lanes and parts are dear. They are extremely comfortable ultra reliable and tow 3.5 tonnne without effort.

I have a 53 plate td5 commercial disco now done 140k . Been very reliable good on fuel 30mpg loaded and driven hard. 25mpg with heavy trailer. Gearing is too high for pulling heavy trailers away from standstill. All Landrovers have a vague felling from the rear which u dont get with the LC.

For a work horse I would buy a trooper with 3.1 diesel dont touch the 3.0l

Hope I have not confused you even more.

thats realy intersting thank you.

i have been looking on the net at prices for each and its so hard to know where to spend the money.!!

as for the troopers i not really a fan purely my own daft opion with nothing to back it up- just not for me.

do you find that the disco commercial is very echo y being the van or are modern, car derived vans better than they were years ago.?

dont suppose you know nuch about the 200/300 tdi versions.

my price range is like many peoples, cant work out whether to chuck alot or a little at it. :confused1:

thats realy intersting thank you.

i have been looking on the net at prices for each and its so hard to know where to spend the money.!!

as for the troopers i not really a fan purely my own daft opion with nothing to back it up- just not for me.

do you find that the disco commercial is very echo y being the van or are modern, car derived vans better than they were years ago.?

dont suppose you know nuch about the 200/300 tdi versions.

my price range is like many peoples, cant work out whether to chuck alot or a little at it. :confused1:

I agree troopers are now very long in the tooth. The 300 / 200 disco easier to work on we had 5 or 6 over 10 years good vehicles but now very very dated and agricultral . None of them were as reliable as the td5 or as powerful especially towing at 70 mph. I remember endless cambelt changes and head gasket failures, P gasket, cheap nasty water pumps. High fuel consumption and in the not to distant future emmissions will be too high for low emmision zones if you buy a commercial.

The 300 disco van we had was really quiet as is the td5 this is because they build them as cars with load area fully lined. Our current one has 6 speaker Harmon Kardon sys from new. Air suspension is a bonus for towing. We drive to Scotland service generators and do a round trip of 2000 miles in two days same in southern ireland. Part of the reason for not having a sprinter is the uncomfotable dual passenger seats.

I would go for a facelift disco 52 plate onwards with the plastic front lights as they seem to have sorted most of the problems by then.