Another knackered 357xpg!!!!!

antipesto

Picked this saw up today, it's serial number starts 08 02 (built 2nd week of 2008)

It has the dreaded walbro 199a carb which if left to idle badly and run lean leads to this damage:thumbdown:

The decision is whether to buy new pot, piston and zama carb which would be around £200 with the vat, or keep it for spares and swap the heated handles with my 357xp :001_rolleyes:

357pot2.jpg.e1089f9eb99a77c74486850bb9c78086.jpg

357pot1.jpg.fdb087d1327b53f02c304a0182de7c5d.jpg

357pot.jpg.21ca1461e27c93be13a83e0e4a115aff.jpg

357pot3.jpg.d0623b4d091634e86f7d4774049faca2.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I have had a lot of trouble with my 357xp which is an older model, 2005 I think of hand. It has had a new carb, a new partition wall and metal clamp and an auto decompression deletion, along with new fuel lines, fuel filter, plugs etc whilst trying to fix the problem. It is now ok after hours of work and money spent on it.

The saw pictured here was not mine, it was off a bloke who I used to sub for. I have used it many times in the past and it hasn't had a great deal of work or been left idling for any period of time. It has mainly been used for copicing and firewood cutting on small stuff. (13" bar fitted from new)

It has always had measured two stroke mix, never guessed mix or cheap 2 stroke oil used, always stihl or husqvarna.

This is one of the last that had the walbro 199a carb. the zama was introduced from serial numbers: 357XP - 083800001 and on the 359 - 084500001. Husqvarna fail to admit the carb was a problem and say the zama was introduced to improve tick over and there is no recall as such issued.

Some of the 199 carbs have been ok, most are a waste of time. As for what has caused the damage I would say running lean due to having a crap carb:001_smile:

I know a lot of people with 357's and most have had trouble with them :thumbdown:

Edited to say that a replacement part for me was an ms361w

Edited by antipesto
replacement part

. As for what has caused the damage I would say running lean due to having a crap carb:001_smile:

I know a lot of people with 357's and most have had trouble with them :thumbdown:

I would disagree, I would expect to see a little scoring all round the cylinder, not just in a localised spot at the exhaust port.

I would suspect more like some crap getting in when changing the plug :001_smile:

Hi, I have had a lot of trouble with my 357xp which is an older model, 2005 I think of hand. It has had a new carb, a new partition wall and metal clamp and an auto decompression deletion, along with new fuel lines, fuel filter, plugs etc whilst trying to fix the problem. It is now ok after hours of work and money spent on it.

The saw pictured here was not mine, it was off a bloke who I used to sub for. I have used it many times in the past and it hasn't had a great deal of work or been left idling for any period of time. It has mainly been used for copicing and firewood cutting on small stuff. (13" bar fitted from new)

It has always had measured two stroke mix, never guessed mix or cheap 2 stroke oil used, always stihl or husqvarna.

This is one of the last that had the walbro 199a carb. the zama was introduced from serial numbers: 357XP - 083800001 and on the 359 - 084500001. Husqvarna fail to admit the carb was a problem and say the zama was introduced to improve tick over and there is no recall as such issued.

Some of the 199 carbs have been ok, most are a waste of time. As for what has caused the damage I would say running lean due to having a crap carb:001_smile:

Edited to say that a replacement part for me was an ms361w

No recall as such other than to say that all carbs between certain serial no's were issued a free replacement. Give technical a call and quote your serial no and they will tell you if you were due a replacement carb FOC or not.