Milled timber prices

treesnake

Is anyone able to supply milled timber to plank out about 50 pub sized tables ! Not really bothered about what timber it is but price will be a key factor . The timber is for a carpenter friend of mine who has the job of replacing the table tops , so any help or advice on best timber and prices would be great .

Do you have suitable timber yourself??

If you do, you could hire in a guy with a Mobile Woodmizer.

If its for a pub mosture content would be an issue so i doubt going from in the round to a table would be suitable. Not sure even in a down for several years you'd be near 20% all the way through.

If its for a pub moisture content would be an issue so i doubt going from in the round to a table would be suitable. Not sure even in a down for several years you'd be near 20% all the way through.

Good point.

I did , wonder if they are out door tables?? as he says type of timber not important, in which case moisture content may not be an issue.

Safe to assume a pub table is 4ft x 2ft 6" and 1.5 inches thick when finished? That's 1.25 cubic foot for the top and possibly another 1.75 for the framework? 3 cube finished, and perhaps 5 starting (allowing for surfacing and wastage).

So 250 cubic foot is required. Oak or ash would be my choices as they are hardwearing and thus suitable for a pub environment. Ash would be preferable to Oak as it's much cheaper and easier to dry.

Leave it with me - I'm seeing a chap tomorrow who might be able to source the logs. Earliest timescale for me is end of March.

Jonathan

Skyhuck , I don't have suitable timber of any volume . The tables are for inside use so moisture will be an issue ! However iv just spoken to the carpenter and he will consider green or seasoned round or milled so if anyones got anything either pm me call 07971594788 .

Safe to assume a pub table is 4ft x 2ft 6" and 1.5 inches thick when finished? That's 1.25 cubic foot for the top and possibly another 1.75 for the framework? 3 cube finished, and perhaps 5 starting (allowing for surfacing and wastage).

So 250 cubic foot is required. Oak or ash would be my choices as they are hardwearing and thus suitable for a pub environment. Ash would be preferable to Oak as it's much cheaper and easier to dry.

Leave it with me - I'm seeing a chap tomorrow who might be able to source the logs. Earliest timescale for me is end of March.

Jonathan

Ash would be my choice for making tops. Got some stuff to mill up for making tabletops for the civil war reinactment lot. Elm would make nice tops too but would be difficult to sorce. Depending on the style of table you may be able to make the legs and frame from Larch or Douglas to keep costs down.

Is anyone able to supply milled timber to plank out about 50 pub sized tables ! Not really bothered about what timber it is but price will be a key factor . The timber is for a carpenter friend of mine who has the job of replacing the table tops , so any help or advice on best timber and prices would be great .

Can you give a few more details i.e. where is your mate based? does he want this timber for outdoor or indoor tables? Is it just the table tops he wants or timber for the bases? Can it be mixed timber? Does he want the tops in single pieces if so how big are the dimensions? Dry or green?

I have loads of timber that would do the trick but would be a mixture of species.

Also you could list this on my new wood forum here treet|Wood wanted | Wood Forum

Thanks for all the replys so far ! The tables are for inside and it's only the tops that need planking , rob I'm not sure about the different species but I will find out tomorrow and get back to you as I will to the other members offers .