82 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you sell Firewood

• Thats my main Business
    • Selling it increases my income over Winter
    • There is not enough Tree work around in the Winter
    • I am selling a product I would otherwise dump

Yes thanks I have !

I purchased it on eBay along with some nptc window stickers:sneaky2:

Congratulations, that makes you a fully qualified tree surgeon,...... now if you can just get the tree officer to nod in passing you can join the ranks of council approved and your career will be complete

:thumbup:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1-Firewood.

Buy bulk, fuel, machinery,process, store it, dry it, bundle, waste carriers, deliver, insurance - not Arboriculture.

(Here in NW ireland very tight margins judging from recent prices of artic loads for soft wood - inherent lack of hardwood given the pilfering over the last so many centuries - daren't go down that path !!)

2-Firewood

Removal of trees (Tree work/ Forest/woodland management)- Environmental Policy, Waste disposal statement, waste management, recycling.

It will most definitely be Policy with most treework outfits big or small to state the end use of all waste, by-products or arrisings from working at trees.

Of upmost importance to make use of all arisings.

In most cases, if firewood is integrel for financial purposes to treework folk then prices for removals/pruning may be lowered to take oboard firewood value.

commercial sawmills work on 'recovery rate'

Arb/treework works similarly if its done with ethics. That is x amount of 'by-product', 'waste', 'arisings' is suitable for planking, turning, charcoal, whatever (added value products) and the remainder is firewood.

3-firewood

Tree work - small scale (cottage industry for eg)

A) a valued aspect to treework for taking a few days out of climbing in the week to devalve and still ataiin some income

B) a valued aspect to treework when times may be slack or actual treework is required to be spread out to keep a balanced income

C) treework small scale is a passion, for the love of it, so every little bit that involves working with green wood is just another great way to spend time, from using your family to help out, to the people you gather up as customers they eventually become indirect friends.

I produce firewood not for the dough but to make use of the arisings from jobs. I have a few, a handful, of customers, who all know they et a relatively equal cut of whatever split wood is produced throughout the year.

Yes it is an extra income, but by the time everything is ringed, split and delivered it aint that big os an extra income. besides when ringing and splitting goes on there is definitely no rush, push or shove let me tell ye.

keep er lit.

Congratulations, that makes you a fully qualified tree surgeon,...... now if you can just get the tree officer to nod in passing you can join the ranks of council approved and your career will be complete

:thumbup:

Tree officer , I don't need one as I got the certificate for that too ! :biggrin:

After all that's what I thought this industry was about , window stickers and pieces of paper :sneaky2:

not sure what that means- can you elaborate?

If you have a WC license and no duty of care, you will still have a problem if stopped by the E A or multi agency stop guys.

Your duty of care should detail ALL points of collection, points of disposal, dates, amounts etc, etc. It is a written record you should keep to prove you are a responsible carrier.

There is also some form of contract document you should be carrying now that shows an agreement between you and the place you are removing waste from, that should correspond to the details of the duty of care.

Not sure of all the details of the latter, thats why its best not to carry waste in the first place. Too much hassle!

People think having the WCL is the easy way out, but unfortunately once you register you also accept the legislation that goes with it. Not many know all that that entails!

The ebay may be a scam but not as big as the £150 the government charge for the official wcl . Now that is a scam. And your right if you produce the waste you dont need a licence but try explaining that to the idiot at the side of the road. If I change the oil on a customers genset I have produced the waste and its mine. But if they change the oil and I take the oil away that needs a wcl .