tailor made splitter

ashman

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was meaning the 1 at the bottom of the page in the vid :001_smile:

Appologies for my short sight !

found your link and presumed that was what you meant.

Still cant find the vid you mean though lol

Found it, thats exactly the sort of thing i mean but more multiple splits than a four way !

Edited by ashman

In an ideal world.....................

I am looking for a solution that doesnt involve re-mortgaging the farm though.

both those machines can go on a loader of a tractor, the processor can be made very chealpy if you know what you are doing, and you sound like you do. The saving on labour, fuel and wastage of wood as sawdust will pay for them very quickly imo:thumbup1:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slFsz2r_NZw&feature=related]YouTube - Vedklipp till Grävmaskin[/ame]

[ame]

[/ame]

heres a fancy painted one but it gives you an idea on how it splits, i would just have the knife longer

Edited by Stephen Blair

....it gives you an idea on how it splits, i would just have the knife longer

Yes, the knife defo needs to be longer - some of those logs are only semi split!

I reckon you'd need a block under the shear knife to push against the splitting knife though, if it was longer. Easy done though.

Is it me or do these type of machines look slow, like they need some speeding up???

• 1 month later...

For those of you that are interested i have started gathering all the required bits today, if there is any sort of interest i will take some pics as i go and do a thread, i am no expert, and i will be doing it all on a budget of pretty much nothing, so lots of recycling going on (lumps of scrap brought back to life basicly) but it is the sort of thing i enjoy making in my spare time.

Rob.

Edited by ashman

For those of you that are interested i have started gathering all the required bits today, if there is any sort of interest i will take some pics as i go and do a thread, i am no expert, and i will be doing it all on a budget of pretty much nothing, so lots of recycling going on (lumps of scrap brought back to life basicly) but it is the sort of thing i enjoy making in my spare time.

Rob.

Hi Rob i would love to see how you get on with this please post as you go. Thanks Egg.

I have been having thoughts about a purpose made splitter.

I want a splitter that will handle large volumes of poplar, i have been thinking about building one that has a 16 way split on it, very similiar to the splitting option you get on the palax 100s.

The splitter would be purpose built for the pop, but with the option of a changeable splitting head, ie, a 2 or 4 way head than can easily be changed via a quick release pin.

I have most materials in the workshop and the knowledge to build said splitter, but, what do you reckon, am i crazy or is it viable ?

Seems like a good enough plan, if you can change out the head for tougher wood.

Poplar must be easy to split, for a hardwood :laugh1:

The plan is too have a changeable splitting head, i will have a 2 way, 4way, and a multiple(maybe 12) way, possibly on a quick release pin, i have not made a decision yet how i am going to do that bit.

Lol at the poplar comment, yes it is a hardwood, but does split very easy, i will be looking to put upto 3ft diameter rings through, not sure i will get them in one go though !

Am nipping down the workshop later, so will get a few pics.

Rob.