Help, lots of it please.

ashman

Hi.

But as i do all the work on this estate i am partly bound to do the job, or face loosing all the hardwood (oak and ash) i currently get.

QUOTE]

Is this part of a written contract or what you assume? Do you think if you don't make him a good offer you will loose the other work?

I would address this with him before considering any work on the poplar:001_smile:

No we do not have a contract of any kind, it is a verbal agreement we have always worked on, we have huge respect and trust between us, has always worked very well.

However, he has given me an awfull lot of work and timber over the years and i want to be fair to him with this project, my comment about losing wood from him, that is based on the assumption he has to get someone else involved to clear the poplar and knowing how sought after wood is, they will most likely make him a very good offer on the rest of the timber, we are talking possibly 1000 mature oak trees, 400 acres of ash woodland, not to mention the poplar, as you can imagine an awfull lot of timber ! i do not want to risk losing it.

My main concern is making a deal on the poplar that is fair to both of us, as both the owner and myself have no deffinite idea of value i was looking to get some ideas before we sit down and discuss the work.

I like to have a good idea what i am talking about before jumping in feet first !

That way i wont feel done over half way through, and he wont get people telling him i am ripping him off either.

Been honest with him (and others i work for) has always stood me in good stead, when more work comes up, i always get first priority as they know they can trust me to be straight.

I know in this day and age everyone says a contract should be in place, and in most circumstances i agree, however i dont feel the need on this occasion.

Regards, Rob.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am clueless about what it is worth. But have seen a few post about it recently perhaps you could pm the people and see how it panned out. Seems pop is not worth alot which seems strange with the demand for kindling and firewood. 400 acres of ash will be valuable for the next few years . The expression sprat to catch a mackeral springs to mind.

I dont think the timber will ever be worth a fortune due to type of wood and the work involved in extracting it, however it will always have a value of sorts, even if i spend the next three seasons processing it for logs, i have worked out its worth direct to a supplier in nets ...not a fortune but a small profit to be made, and it would also supply me in work during the quieter months.

Genset, please expand on your comment "sprat to catch a mackerel" not sure i follow your line of thinking.

Yes the ash is worth a fortune as is the oak, hence it is my main line of work and not something i would be looking to lose.

Rob.

How about this.

If your man is looking for a good deal on removing the poplar make it part of a larger deal that includes the ash and oak over the next few years. Explain that there is a lot of work and little return on the poplar, but that you are prepared to swallow it as part of a larger job.

How about this.

If your man is looking for a good deal on removing the poplar make it part of a larger deal that includes the ash and oak over the next few years. Explain that there is a lot of work and little return on the poplar, but that you are prepared to swallow it as part of a larger job.

Sounds like you think along my lines....however i already have a fair deal on the rest of the timber, ie. the ash and oak is mine at the moment, i am paying for it in different ways, work undertaken for him and his friends, (dangerous trees, hedges, conifers etc) as well as the usual per cord removed, we are both happy with the deal we have on all the ongoing things, the poplar is new to the equasion, i want to find him the best deal as well as me on the poplar.

To sum up, the larger job that is ongoing is already wrapped up, (i want to keep it that way) so i need to put a proposition forward to him that is......fair to both paties, but ......means i am gauranteed to get it....that doesnt take me for a ride !!! but will not take the p**s out of him either. at the end of the day he is a businessman, he wants the estate to make the most it can within reason.

As for forwarding, well i will look at that more when the time comes, i have a crawler with winch that i use for extraction, i have use of tractors of the highest spec, i can do the felling, haulage, i can store, i can process, in fact the job is well within my capabilities from start to finish, (i would actually enjoy it), it is the "everyone gets a fair deal" that i am struggling with.

This poplar job is out of my comfort zone, give me oak, ash beech etc and i would price it in 2 mins !! i am a firewood man that only ever delivers good hardwood. hence never done poplar.

Am real gratefull for all your replies so far, "takes my blinkers off" so to speak.

Keep them coming.

Regards, Rob.