Working from home, rules?

T14EES T14UNK

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on the rules and regs for working from home. If I have land at my house, a paddock and stables for example, what are the first steps to take to find out if I can use it as a yard for logs and chip etc. Are there any grey areas which I need to know about before I inform the council. Would it definitely mean having to pay business rates. I read that this can depend on whether it is for sole use for business or for personal use as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Just start using it. If you get a visit from the planning officer he'll only ask you to apply retrospectively. There is nothing illegal about doing this. You may never see him, and if enough time passes (I think it's four years for residential to commercial) you can apply for a certificate of lawfulness.

Who is EA?

Environment Agency?

I have just started using my land for my firewood operation, i have always chopped my own logs on my land so just doing it on a bigger scale now. Built a 'none permanent' log store structure that i can back my tractor mounted spitter into and work out of the rain and wind.

So far so good, but i do have a tool a neighbour across the fields so i am expecting the planning officer to drop by at some point for a chat about my none permanent structure.

Within reason, just do it.

However, if you have near neighbours and you make a noise -- like a tractor driving a splitter or sawbench -- you can't blame the neighbours if they complain. In my experience most planning enforcement officers look kindly on people starting businesses at home, as long as you aren't 'arsey' about it when they visit.

Even if you stand no chance of getting planning permission they'll probably give you six months to find alternative premises if you ask for it. If you're reasonable, they'll be reasonable: though there's no guarantee -- you always face the risk of getting a 'jobsworth'.

Best wishes,

John Russell

Thanks for the input. I forgot to mention that this is a house that we are buying soon so I haven't moved in yet. I was hoping to be able to be a little more sure that I will be able to and not get told I can't later on, before we actually buy and sign for the house. It is one of the reasons, quite a major one infact, for wanting the house and it would be a big pain to be then told I can't use the land. A lot of the wood and chip would get used for personal use but obviously a lot would be business.