Who does what with pidgeons ?

dryadlad

so has anyone here ever actually got themselves in trouble over this subject?

The Site manager on a big developement site in Manchester ended up kicking his heels in the cells for a night because he ordered an excavator driver to knock over some scrub that had pigeons nesting in it. Company got a big fine for it.

They had to get an enviromental / wildlife expert up from London to watch over the rest of the felling works we did.

Btw, he was costing the company £120 per hour plus expenses!:vollkommenauf:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, just getting my head round this one, if going on what andy says, while reducing a domestic conifer hedge say, you find a couple of pidgeon chicks in a nest, you cannot disturb them. Yeh?

But while you are sat in this hedge the parents of said chicks go and land in a farmers field, they, as Iain says, can be shot for being vermin. Yeh?

So does that mean you can now put the poor chicks out of their misery as they no longer have parents?? Mmmm:BoomSmilie_anim:

whenever ive seen guys chip birds they always seem to think its totally hillarious...and thats why i think they do it.. maybe its just the evil bast@rds ive had to work with over the years. personally i always whack them brisky on the back of the head. Works every time.

I see your point mate, I find that a bit distastefull to, I take no pleasure in finding that I have disturbed a birds nest and may have to deal with it.

I have like mentioned here relocated nests, but on some rare occasions its not possible.

As for hitting them over the head well I can see how that seems more humane, until you get seen!

This is a publice forum and an emotive subject, but I think it is good and constructive to talk about it openly. No point pretending it does'nt happen.

A 12 bore works well

but on a serious note

We were tasked last year with a site removalfor a national house builder, however a magpie was nesting in one of the trees.

A bobbie contacted the site manager after a tip off from a concerned member of the public

basically the conversation to the site manager went ----

if you go ahead, you, the contractor and your area manager 'will be locked up'

if that same magpie had been flying over a field it could have been legitimatley shot as vermin,

but we had to postpone work untill after the nesting season

And what if the tree is dangerous (e.g. heaved over a highway)?

Thats the point of WLF100088, of which at this time the minions of Defra still havent had the courtesy to reply to my calls, damn officialdom

And as for waiting to see if they're feeding young or whatever, its up to you, you'll have plenty of time waiting if you end up in a cell.

On another point about whether or not you can spend time looking for nests etc. How long do you spend sitting around the site drinking cups of tea/having a fag/ Mars bar/whatever before you get up a tree. It doesnt take long to look up the tree for hazards, ie wasps nests, so why is it so inconvenient to look for a birds nest. These issues aint going away just cos its a bit inconvenient, we've got adjust as Joe Public becomes more and more aware.