Who does what with pidgeons ?

dryadlad

I remember on one conifer hedge topping job the neighbour phoned the authorities to report us for disturbing the birds during nesting season.

She then came out and gave the boss a right ear bashing, saying he was breaking the law doing tree work at this time of year!

I found it ironic that she had 2 cats.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

pigeons are a pain as they breed all year round unlike most other birds and therefor its pretty common to find nesting birds especially in large leylandii. We try and reschedule work if we find songbirds ..many which are on the decline. Though sometimes it too late and well were not perfect.

As for chipping birds, thats just lazy and idiotic. Its your typical **** for brains knuckle-scraping attitude from your average brash dragging donkey. Period.

I wouldn't harm them, but I hate it when the chicks are in the nest and their stupid little craney neck are thrusting out to try an peck you. It angers me, but I just leave them in peace. I have, however, hit two nesting pigeons with the throwbag this year. I can't help it if I can't see them, can I.

As for not pruning because of the nesting season; what do they suggest we do instead. Should farmers keep their flails off the hedges at this time of year, too?

Thats a bit harsh treediver, I agree with the songbirds though and I try to take every reasonable step to not disturb any birds or wildlife.

As for chipping birds, well how would you deal with a pidgeons nest with fledglings in, that you've just discover in the top of the conifer that was just knocked out, in a built up area with potential emotionally charged members of public going about their day?

I'm not proud to admit it, but when the chippers going and the brash is falling thick and fast, with the pressure on to complete the job with little fuss the answer seems simple. I don't feel i'm being cold hearted, lazy or idiotic.

Am I to put them in the truck and give them to some animal rescue center, or rehouse them in the tree, for people to then see that we have disturbed/moved a nest?

I'm all ears for a good way of dealing with such situations. Thankfully it does'nt happen often 2/3 times a year maybe.

my way is if topping hedge place nest lower down or if removal place nest in nearest tree if they are chicks the parents 80% of time will find them if eggs its a hit and miss option but at least you are giving them a chance ... and i will add dont forget this is a forum in the public domain and talking about chipping birds could cause concern with some animal welfare types .... ;)

I re-iterate, schedule 1 Wildlife and Countryside Act:

Sections 1 to 8 relate to protection of birds. Section 1 prohibits the intentional killing, injuring or taking of any wild bird and the taking, damaging or destroying of the nest (whilst being built or in use) or eggs. It prohibits possession of wild birds (dead or alive) or their eggs. There are additional penalties for offences relating to birds on Schedule 1 and, in addition, it is an offence to disturb Schedule 1 birds at nest or the dependent young of Schedule 1 birds.

Pigeons, strange tho it may seem, are in fact wild birds, and as such are covered by this law. Ignorance is no defence, and if it is likely that birds are nesting, then it is vital that you carry out an environmental impact report before carrying out work. I Know this is a bit of a bind in this high pressure business environment, but can you afford the negative publicity, and fines, that your negligence may bring?

For all of us "brash dragging donkeys" out there, keep an eye out for the parent birds too, the man in the tree/hedge may not see them flying about, oh and chipping birds is the same as killing them (see Schedule 1)

An authorised person is deemed to be the owner or occupier of any land on which the action takes place or any person authorised by the owner or occupier. It can also be someone authorised in writing by a local authority, a Statutory Nature Conservation Organisation (SNCO), a district fishery board (Scotland) or local fisheries committee, a water authority or any other statutory water undertakers. However, under the Act, such an authorised person has no right of entry on any land.

Killing of birds to prevent serious damage to agriculture; permits the killing of taking of certain birds, including the taking, damaging or destruction of their eggs by an authorised person for the purpose of preventing serious damage to livestock, crops, vegetables, fruit, growing timber, fisheries or inland waters. Control is either by shooting, a cage trap or net. This applies to the following species (Licenses by DEFRA, SERAD AND NAW)

Carrion crow

Collared dove

Great black-backed gull

Lesser black-backed gull

Herring gull

Jackdaw

Jay

Magpie

Feral Pigeon

Rook

House sparrow

Starling

Woodpigeon

One option would be to apply for a general licence (WLF100088) 'To kill or take certain birds'

This licence......... 'permits authorised persons to kill or take certain birds, including the taking, damaging or destruction of their nests or the taking or destruction of their eggs for the purposes of preserving public health or public safety'.

It may not cover all eventualities, such as domestic hedge trimming, but for any tree that need to felled or pruned because of disease or damage it should be applicable under the public safety element. Both the Feral Pigeon, Columba livia and the Woodpigeon, Columba palumbus are covered by the licence. This licence implies that some form of approved method is used for the dispatch.

Having one of these licences does shut the bunny huggers up if they get a bit vocal.