Experience of Radweld?

djbobbins

Has anyone got any experience of Radweld?

I noticed my Trooper was getting hot over the weekend and when I checked the coolant it was low - shamefully low, I have to admit - I put about 4 litres in to bring it back up to level.

So - having refilled it and done another couple of hundred miles, it'd emptied the reservoir again this morning, so I have stuck a couple of bottles of Radweld in it, filled up with antifreeze and tried again.

After a couple of trips today (about 30 miles) the reservoir level appears to be staying constant.

I can't say that I expect the radweld to be a permanent fix, but just wondered whether I should be getting on the phone to the friendly mechanic now or whether it will hold up until the next service is due in about three months time? Could do without a big bill at the moment, what with Christmas and all that!

If anyone has got any experience of using radweld I would appreciate a bit of feedback...

Cheers

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been hit and miss with me to be honest mate can be great might last over Xmas with these temperatures but you never know. I remember my old gaffer putting some similar stuff in his landy it looked like porridge but lasted ages just can't remember the name. My father reckons years ago he's used eggs to do the job haha

if radweld doesnt work, try some stuff called 'K-seal' ive used it to seal some big leaks!!!!!

Might be the stuff I seen think radweld is ok but I've used it then when it's failed used it again reckon at some point you will end up causing a blockage I've used it up to three times before when I had an old205 gti and couldn't source a rad for a while. I would keep a couple handy until you get a new rad mate

If you can see water spurting out of the radiator then rad weld is just the ticket as a temporary fix till funds and time allow for a perm fix.

If you can not see where the water is going then check the exhaust.. is it is steamy? If so then most likely cause is the engines head gasket.

You can also get the coolant system tested by most mechanics, they put the system under pressure and leave it for 5 mins and see if the pressure has dropped, it also means that when pressurised they can spot the leak if any as the water shoots out!

good luck

If you can see water spurting out of the radiator then rad weld is just the ticket as a temporary fix till funds and time allow for a perm fix.

If you can not see where the water is going then check the exhaust.. is it is steamy? If so then most likely cause is the engines head gasket.

You can also get the coolant system tested by most mechanics, they put the system under pressure and leave it for 5 mins and see if the pressure has dropped, it also means that when pressurised they can spot the leak if any as the water shoots out!

good luck

I did wonder at first if it was a head gasket problem but don't think it is. I've had a couple of head gaskets go on previous cars (a 1.2 litre, 4 speed Vauxhall Nova will cruise at three figures on the clock, just not without consequence) and the Isuzu hasn't got the telltale symptoms of misfiring on one cylinder when cold, nor the (particularly) steamy exhaust.

There are no visible leaks or drips when it's ticking over and up to temperature, but putting two and two together I did realise that the inside seems to suffer from a lot of condensation. A bit of investigation led me to a damp carpet in the passenger footwell so I am guessing perhaps a heater matrix problem...