Tractor Wont Start

windfall

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

My IH885 tractor has decided that it does not like the cold weather and only turns over for a bit before the battery goes flat.

In the cold its taken a bit of cranking before it would start but this current cold weather and snow and the old girl has just dug her boots in and wont go.

The battery was new in the summer and has previously been ok, got smoke coming out the stack so she was trying but couldnt crank her enough to get it to fire.

I have a large deep cycle battery i am charging and i was thinking of boosting it in the morning with that too.

What i am wondering is i dont think the glo plugs are working, i have only just noticed that the decompressor seems to turn to the right and this may be how you make them work? anyone know if this is the case? OR can i just connect the glo plugs wire to the battery directly via a switch so i know that they are working?

thanks in advance

ps read a thread here where someone said their granddad used to light a fire under the tractor to get her going in the cold.. i am close to dragging the space heater /generator over the field to get the bloody thing going!

i'd pull the glow plugs out and test them on a spare battery, then check the circuit for them is working, i have been using a blowtorch to start my dumper, it doesn't like the cold but if i don't get a lay-in then neither do the machines:001_smile:, the fuel is waxing up and filters icing up which doesn't help, you could do with a hot water bottle or similar to warm the engine oil a bit

597658ed976b0_moon009.jpg.fa4665686f5c933cdada1bb38b57e94a.jpg

OK thanks guys some good ideas here.

The alternator is knackered i have been bringing it up to my workshop and charging the battery periodically, which is what i was going to do when i went to her yesterday and it didnt play ball.

So 3 extension cables later and i have a charger on it....

We have been about -5 at night, it was -1 this morning at 10am.

I will bring some watering cans of hot water over with me in the morning and have a play with the half way between on and start to see if i can get glo action!

thanks

I've never had the misfortune of owning a 885, but most tractors of a similar vintage don't have a glow plug on each cylinder, but have a single heater plug, with its own diesel suply ,on the air intake.

If this is working correctly you will feel it getting quite hot or you can test the electrical circuit with a spare light bulb.

The farmer who lives down the road, also happens to be a tractor mechanic was just driving by drop some feed to his cows so i had a natter with him about it.

He said are you giving it extra fuel for starting.. errr no how do you do that gary? pull the decompressor 2/3 out.. oh.. he said it wont want to start without doing that so thats probably my issue. DOH. school boy error.

Also showed me the heater and suggested using the jump leads and connecting the spare battery direct to the starter.

So hopefully ill be back in action in the morning.

I've never had the misfortune of owning a 885, but most tractors of a similar vintage don't have a glow plug on each cylinder, but have a single heater plug, with its own diesel suply ,on the air intake.

If this is working correctly you will feel it getting quite hot or you can test the electrical circuit with a spare light bulb.

Yeah your spot on, located the heater so ill have a fiddle in the morning.

Misfortune indeed! :001_tt2:

I dont think even the later 885 had glow plugs just a glow start. Ours was losing coolant when I stipped it there was a gap you could get your little finger through between the block and piston linner. Hand full of silicon sealant reuse old head gasket 5 years later it still runs the processor. Bet you cant do that with the latest common rail John Deere.