What is the safest chainsaw for a beginner?

Ty Unnos

Hi All

I am just getting started and am doing my CS30/31 in the new year.

I have been looking into getting my first chainsaw.

What I cannot decide on is what size saw is right for a complete beginner.

The advise on this forum seems to be something like an MS260 or 346XP as a good start.

My problem is that when I go into the local chainsaw place and ask about a 346XP they look at me like I am mad and try and sell me a non-pro saw.

Would I be better off with a 30cc or 40cc saw to begin with and then work up to a 50-60cc saw once I know what I am doing.

Is a lighter / less powerful saw going to be safer? Easier to handle? Less likely to kick? Do less damage if it does!

I will not be climbing but will be doing plenty of coppice work and hedge laying so a small saw might not be a complete waste as I could have a second saw for felling.

What do you reckon?

there are no safe saws mate, id recomend a husky 346xp or a stihl ms261. honestly mate i did befor i did my cs30. i flogged on my ms260, and i use a 346xp daily, there no point messing about with non pro saws if you are looking to move up to a pro, just buy a pro saw

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All

I am just getting started and am doing my CS30/31 in the new year.

I have been looking into getting my first chainsaw.

What I cannot decide on is what size saw is right for a complete beginner.

The advise on this forum seems to be something like an MS260 or 346XP as a good start.

My problem is that when I go into the local chainsaw place and ask about a 346XP they look at me like I am mad and try and sell me a non-pro saw.

Would I be better off with a 30cc or 40cc saw to begin with and then work up to a 50-60cc saw once I know what I am doing.

Is a lighter / less powerful saw going to be safer? Easier to handle? Less likely to kick? Do less damage if it does!

I will not be climbing but will be doing plenty of coppice work and hedge laying so a small saw might not be a complete waste as I could have a second saw for felling.

What do you reckon?

also any saw will give a nasty kick if you use it wrong

If the chap wants it for coppicing and hedge laying, along with a bit of felling, id have to recommend the husky 346xp or xpg and keep your hands warm. One of these armed with a 13 inch bar is a force to be reckoned with for rapid coppicing or snedding. CS units specify a maximum of a 15inch bar, so theres no reason why you couldnt do the course with a 13inch bar fitted. Ive refreshed all mine at work with a 13inch 346. on the higher modules it actually makes the choice of trees much wider.

The 346 is a better saw full stop than the 260 from experience, lighter than the 261 on paper, and with overall lower vibration, but the real bonus is the way it handles. the front handle makes positioning the saw for felling and snedding a dream, and the little felling direction marks on the casing may well prove to be a bonus for a beginner user. Even the stop start controls make more sense, so Im going to say the 346 would be the 'easiest' saw for you to learn on. I wish id had one instead of that great numb ms290

i agree 100% i was going to say about the on off controls aswell lol,, its just a better designed saw, onistly mate you wont be dissopointed with a 346xp

• 5 weeks later...

i started of with a stihl ms210 which i still have and regularly use :)

smaller lighter saws like the ms180-ms210 are generally easier to use and cause a bit less damage if you make a mistake but having something bigger with a longer bar i find generally keeps you a bit more vigilant whereas a little thing you sometimes can forget the damage they can still cause

but if your just starting i dont think you need to worry about that

theres no two ways about it husqys are better chainsaws(let battle commence) but if your doing your cs30 soon id get a stihl as they are easier to work on/fix and generally a bit cheaper to buy

The 346 is a better saw full stop ... and the little felling direction marks on the casing may well prove to be a bonus for a beginner user.

I have no wish to get into a Husqvarna vs Stihl debate, but thought I'd let you know that the Stihl MS261 has a marking (black line) right across the body, that lines up with the felling direction.