prices.

Hodge

just spoke to a guy i buy cord wood off about getting more in for next year, the delivered in price i was quoted was £52.50 plus vat for oak limbs 4" up to 14" that would need a bit of sawing before it will process:confused1: the last cord i bought was 42.50 inc vat delivered in. is this the way things are going?

opinions please.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just spoke to a guy i buy cord wood off about getting more in for next year, the delivered in price i was quoted was £52.50 plus vat for oak limbs 4" up to 14" that would need a bit of sawing before it will process:confused1: the last cord i bought was 42.50 inc vat delivered in. is this the way things are going?

opinions please.

There has not been alot of cord about we struggled to get any in the summer. Could there be a bit of stockpiling going on ?

I would suggest that you should be paying somewhere in the region of £40 to £45 per ton at roadside for cord just now, especially for Oak, Ash, Beech etc.

VAT and Delivery on top of that too.

Hi

Sorry why is that?

Because its the 'market value'- what they can sell it for, or because of the costs of getting it roadside?

Thanks

Charlie.

There seems to be more and more of these type of threads, costs of this that and the other going up.

Why is it as suppliers, so many are scared of putting up the price of our end product?

Go for it, all other industries mange to justify it!

Stoner, your bang on the money there. I have risen my prices this year (only my second year of doing firewood) and havent lost a single customer because of it and have had plenty of new customers too. I know more or less what it works out for me to produce a load and if I had kept the price as last years it wouldnt of been worth doing this year to be honest.

3 local chaps to me haven't increased their prices for 3yrs now in fear of loosing customers, more fool them I say. If there production costs are similar to mine they are only covering costs etc

Could you give us pm hodge regarding your supplier? my guy is being a pain in backside this year and don't wish to continue using him.

Seen your landy drive past tattoo shop as I was getting more work done today in Kendal haha small world.

Hi

Sorry why is that?

Because its the 'market value'- what they can sell it for, or because of the costs of getting it roadside?

Thanks

Charlie.

Sorry, I should have explained better...

The cost of harvesting broadleafs (hardwoods) is expensive as very often it is not grown in parcels large enough to warrant mechanised harvesting or it has not grown straight enough for mechanised harvesting.

This means most cord is cut by hand, which means chainsaw operatives. This in turn means escalating costs year on year due to simple things like insurance, fuel, cost of living, vehicle, replacement parts for saws etc etc.

The same can be said for mechanised harvesting - fuel, insurance, maintenance, parts etc.

Ontop of this you have the fact that estates and land owners need to see a decent return on thier crop and so standing sale prices are up.

Couple that with the fact that the timber industry in general is at an all time high right now and then think about the demand for what is essentially a commodity and you have you're roadside price.

None of this makes much of a difference - the market is what the market is.

If a big player starts paying £75 a ton at roadside tomorrow then everybody else has to match that to secure supply.

So in answer to your question.. It's Both!