certified splices

carlos

Cleetus i'd say i'm in the same position, just maybe not as commercial yet. I've got boxes of splices that i made a mess of. Most have been kept as reference to what not to do. Like you, most of my tricks have been self taught with info some gleamed from others and books.

I'm not sure if a 2 day course is the way forward, as with everything on here a course is only the start of the training. it takes a lot of cock ups to become fluid, but then thats me being self taught and reading and asking a lot.

Jamie

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jamie I totaly agree a 2 day course is not enough. How long would it have to be? What types of rope and splices would it cover? And the all important question how much would a course like this cost?

Time + tools + rope =££££££££

The commercial apect always has to be considered, are we talking about splicing for own use of to do splicing for others. IMO splicing for others has to entail some kind of quality assured system in place. Does this all get to complicated and too expensive and is this the reason we are where we are today

Today, we had a VERY well respected figure from the Arborist industry spend some time with us (I am not a liberty to say whom it was). Closely examining eye splices carried out by our guy and one not. They were both examined and dissected.

Of course, I am going to say he was happy with our splices, but he genuinely was.

The dilemma and hours of discussion followed as to how we could certify and eventually CE Mark our eye splices.

We have now begun the process to be able to certify our splices and look forward to being able to supply you guys with markings to satisfy the loler examiner that your eye spliced ropes from Honey Brothers are safe and meet all the required standards.

We will keep you up to date.

Spliceing is something which people should be encouraged to understand how it is done and to be able to do themselves this would leed to more knowledge about rope your hanging from. Is more certification the way forward when a splice is stronger and safer than a knot.More concerning is the lack of knowledge of wot rope is suitable for certain situations. Some factory splices are of a very pore quality in my opionon.