felling trees with the hinge intact

Charlieh

this is experimetal river restoration so there are no right or wrong ways of doing this yet, i have done some in the past with small stuff just laying over which works well, and have done willow weaving in the channel which works very well,

but we are keen to introuduce some larger timber, and what i want to avoid is felling trees then moving them to where we want them and having to drive lots of stakes into the river bed to hold them, This is on a river which due to previous modifications doesnt vary much between winter and summer flows so were not doing this in areas critical to flooding, so i am keen to try just using the hinge and two additional stakes to hold the tree in possition, these trees will be in the 10-18" DBH range and will still have the canopy attached where possible.

all ideas welcome...

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe just pull/push them over with a digger rootball and all?

or even do a back cut then push it with a digger so more of the cambium remains intact as long the back cut was deep enough so it didnt split down into the base of the tree

Could you dig out at one side and cut the roots, then winch over leaving some of the root in tact?

that would be my choice if you want to keep the tree alive :thumbup1: Essentially the same as your idea Charlie but would make it easier to get them over.

that way theyre anchored to the ground still, and no damage to the cambium. That seems to be how nature has done it down this beck of mine anyway

Might sound silly but I've used a big stainless steel hinge before to fell over a river to make a natural bridge. Also aided by a modified jack to help push it over leaving a large hinge. (can't remember the name of the jack thingy).

Ian:thumbup1:

http://www.norwoodindustries.com/product.aspx?prodID=1037&cID=1005

This is what i meant link above, Used to use it in hard to get places and instead of big machinery. Keeps forest/wood looking nice. We Had a bigger version with a few mods.

looks a handy bit of kit, will have to see if work will get me one!

I like the idea of cutting some of the roots and pushing it over! i may try several techniques as this will be a bit of a demonstration to techniques that can be used so variety is a good thing!

cheers for your input

Charlie

We did a couple of weeks of work just like what you are describing. Creating spawning areas in the river and narrowing sections by staking sections into the river, Also laying some in. If the silt fills in quick enough behind staked in bits of willow they sprout and root. The best piece of kit we had with us was a small tractor with a fantail winch. If you can get the but plate right up to the bank its easy to get beg lengths out.

Chainsaw Waders are excellent

Good luck on the River