Tech cert results

Mark Cattell

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got the one unit to resit too, the 5837...anyone had any info on the possibility of a sooner resit other than next October? Am pretty sure previously they have had a spring management day too.

I have emailed them but they are out of the office until the 4th Jan

Hi Arborist,

I dont have any idea what I previously failed on as we dont get any feedback as to our previous papers unfortunately - so your guess is as good as mine !

I think the first time I just ran out of time and wasnt that good on the oral questions

The trick that helped me pass was making sure I was familiar with the unit - look at all the learning outcomes and make sure you know all of them

Get very fast at doing the surveys and most importantly concentrate on where the marks are given

Also make sure you dont waste time surveying trees that you dont need to survey

Last time one question gave 40 marks and the survey only gave 15 so I just concentrated on the 40 mark question and wrote like crazy everything I could think of - I didnt bother much with faffing about surveying trees until I had exhausted my knowledge of the 40 mark question

I got 72 so cant have been doing too badly (I was shocked but it just shows that exam "technique" is sometimes more important that getting the surveys right/completed

I also had luckily revised exactly what she asked in the oral questions so was able to get full marks there as I had memorised the standards (BS3998) and just regurgitated exactly what is stated in it

I found this the hardest unit as I have never done a real 5937 survey as it is not something I cover in my current job

Getting experience of doing them without computer assistance and as fast as you can and then getting feedback from someone who knows what they are doing would (in my opinion) be a good way to get good at it

It must be a pain to have to wait till next Oct to retake though...........

Dont forget- it isnt just BS5837 it included questions about BS3998 - get the unit out and make sure your knowledge covers both standards and everything stated in the unit.

Edited by Arbgirl
to add a bit

Also, I printed out loads of BS5837 tree reports that I found on the internet and memorised them - I bullet pointed the headings and revised them so I had a quick aide memoire for how to rough out a report quickly

If any of those reports were yours - many thanks :)

Im studying for the exams now and am working through my 5837 home work, ive read throught the bs twice now.

What sort of things were you guys/girls failing on?

What does the 5837 exam consist of and do you have any tips?

Thanks.

I'd go with what Arbgirl has said, I suspect I failed as I ran out of time by not properly reading the questions and spending too much time on questions that held too few marks overall. I spent way too much time on drawing up a map etc which then left me with virtually no time for the questions that held the lion's share of the marks.

I've emailed ABC Awards today as well, maybe if enough people request it we might get a resit date earlier than next October!

I'd go with what Arbgirl has said, I suspect I failed as I ran out of time by not properly reading the questions and spending too much time on questions that held too few marks overall. I spent way too much time on drawing up a map etc which then left me with virtually no time for the questions that held the lion's share of the marks.

I've emailed ABC Awards today as well, maybe if enough people request it we might get a resit date earlier than next October!

I had a reply from ABC

They have no plans for a supplementary exam this year!!!