WARNING : Re Land Rover Thefts

andythesquirel

This is just a warning for all you Land Rover owners out there!

Many of you own Land Rovers, for work and pleasure purposes, and also many more on this site are buying them all the time.

We all know about stolen equipment, but at this time thefts of Land Rovers are at an exceptionally high level. This is specifically relating to the DEFENDER models (90 most common).

I cannot divulge my sources, but I can give you an example. IN THE RELATIVELY SMALL AREA OF THE DERBYSHIRE PEAK DISTRICT, 70 DEFENDER LAND ROVERS HAVE BEEN STOLEN IN THE PAST 6 MONTHS !:scared1:

By there very basic nature, the defender models are desirable, and used all over the world, and so there is a large market for shipping stolen ones overseas. However, to all prospective buyers, not all stolen ones go abroad. Many are RUNG (serial numbers changed/ground off). Be very careful when buying a vehicle, as if you purchase a stolen one, once it is discovered, it will be seized and you will forfeit any money you have paid for it.:sad:

I don't wish to put anyone off Landy, but in these times you have to be careful.

I've heard a few stories about people who have bought from dealers, only to have them stolen within the month. One near me bought from a certain dealer. That went about a few weeks later, then several others went the following week. They suspect that some dealers have moles working within, who tip people off when and where a sale is made, or that the dealers themselves are crooks.

IN THE RELATIVELY SMALL AREA OF THE DERBYSHIRE PEAK DISTRICT, 70 DEFENDER LAND ROVERS HAVE BEEN STOLEN IN THE PAST 6 MONTHS !:scared1:

oh great!

cheers for the heads up, will start to make sure i lock and alarm it when ever i park up.

the peak district is an easy target as there are lots of defenders, mostly on small farms where people dont lock vehicles, i have been out looking at work this morning and didnt lock mine when i walked off to look at the job.

Just outside the peak district there have also been a spate of tractor thefts and not old tat, new £60K+ tractors although this seems to have quietened down now.

Be very careful when buying a vehicle, as if you purchase a stolen one, once it is discovered, it will be seized and you will forfeit any money you have paid for it.

true it will be seized, but you will only forfeit any money you have paid for it IF you didn’t buy it from a dealer (who would have to refund you for selling a stolen vehicle as that’s something a dealer should check for) or someone who sold it in good faith with a receipt of sale who you can find i.e. the prior owner/seller who hasn’t done a runner as it was in good faith - i.e. they didn’t know it was stolen (it is there own responsibility to chase up the person who sold it them & seek there own refund from them as a completely separate mater to them refunding you)

you will forfeit money if you have NO receipt of sale &/OR you cannot find i.e. the prior owner/seller who sold it you.

thanks for the heads up !

all you can do is slow the shites down ! i would go for a "clutch claw" or the like as steering lock are not up to the job. There has been a few landys stolen around my local area, they brake into your house for the keys !

you cant have anything these days some one tried to steal mine the other week but it had a steering lock and id taken the battery out. lucky tho

it really is a sad world we live in now if u have to the the battery out ur motor incase some1 trys 2 nick it