Unusual bark colour and plating?

Bundle 2

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do the snails cause this Tony mate?

If you look closley at the pale (grazed bits) you will see they are ringed by a thin line of remaining Algea, this is a little patch where the snail sits and moves his head side to side munch munch munch, leaving a very specific pattern, then it moves forward just enough to start over hence the patchwork pattern of the grazing.

you will see this all the time on young ash and sycamore stems this time of year, it is constantly damp for months and there is little food at low levels, and what is there is had by the deer, so the snails live in the trees where they can crop algea:001_cool:

So they move forward just over a body's length each time, leaving a stripe of uneaten algae rather than clear grazing? Mollusc OCD!

the band of uneaten algea is so fine as to be not worth mentioning, the grazing patern is efficient!

I tell you what, some people seem to be taking a lot of convincing on this one which i find utterly hillarious, ANY climber will have seen these marks!

Thgis aint no mystery, isnt rocket science and if you want to see this for yourself insert a sheet of glass into rain water for a while, till algea cover it then let a couple of snails at it and you will see!:lol:

Tony...I gotta tell ya, as per earlier post; I have not seen this before, well. If I had, I did not put it down to this. You should not be so dismissive of your audience...We thick boss!

@ ging "hamadryad, do you take on apprentices? "

Youre fired already mate....Take a walk!