What happens when the lad has a go: part 2

bjam1964

sorry to be so harsh but ive witnessed many accidents by workers claiming to have basic understanding on how to cut trees.. Thats why it is important to check and double check on all experience that they claim to have.. any new workers that come to me showing me relevent tickets have to show me a work performance to back up their tickets.. all the best for the future.. play safe keep that lad away from a saw until youve show him the right and SAFE way..

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

having had a few "fresh out of college" lads come with me has taught me a lot.

How to pass on a clear instruction.

They want to impress (try too hard sometimes)

Make sure they hear what you say, and understand clearly what you want.

Never assume anything.

Patience.

More patience.

A years experience is next to nothing, esp if you havent done something many times before. Its still early days. Some people are naturals, they pick up a saw and it does everything it should, others are cack-handed, awkward, never look comfortable on the saw.

Its never going to always be easy with new folk, in all your time you could have 100 different guys, 99 good ones who were near perfect, but 1 who will struggle. Its human nature.

From what I've been told by those who have recently done it your unlikely to be given anything above about 4 inch diameter to fell on cs30/31, as for knowing the technique for cutting timber larger than the bar length thats even explained in the manual that comes with a chainsaw, is that a reflection on the quality of whats taught in the courses?

Fair enough - you all make very valid points. I am far from perfect and never claim to be. I was just shocked at the mess left versus the competence sold me at his interview. I want to help others improve but they must be prepared to own up to their own lack of experience and ask questions.

He was given the 026 as this is the size saw he was most comfortable and safest with. It has a 16" bar and the chain was properly sharpened.

Thanks to the huge difference in opinions in your posts I will take a long hard look at myself in the mirror. I have only posted two bad examples just for discussion - there are many great examples of things done well and great achievements under my direction. I have launched many successful lads into careers. There have been no injuries and only one near miss (barber chair) in 25 years. How many of us can claim that?

Looking at the replies and differnet opinions thrown up this has been a great thread - threads like this keep things interesting. The best threads should make you question your own opinions and standpoint.

:001_smile: