What happens when the lad has a go: part 2

bjam1964

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can he see the funny side of your ribbing???

I don't know, but he does know I was quite unhappy about the wasted time, effort, fuel, wear on bar and chain etc.

Its such a shame, we all set out having high hopes and a positive attitude towards these fledgling guys - I genuinely want to help them improve, be safe and have a successful career but I do draw the line with displays of competence such as this.

I would of lost my rag by now and sent him on his way, and i have a fairbit or patience!

I would sit and have a chat with him in private, If he was keen I would give him extra tuition and time spent helping him learn.

I certainly wouldnt be putting pictures of his incompetence on the internet for random strangers to have a right good laugh at.:thumbdown:

Unless he has seen the funny side and given permission.

i would rather tell him what he was doing right than what he was doing wrong, the fact that you left him to get on with it and he done it ( regardless of the cuts) shows he is trying and did not sit down smoke a fag and text his girl.

But its easy to pass comment on only seeing a snippet of the scenario you were faced.

There are no names mentioned - it is a post based on frustration.

Facts:

1. He gave me a business card with tree care on it.

2. He is a self-employed, sub-contracted tree surgeon.

3. He has passed the industry standard for chainsaw use for cross cutting, maintenance and safe use of.

4. He has worked with several tree surgeons and amassed over a years worth of experience.

5. With all of the above evidence and the fact that this lad has effectively set up his own business and is a potentional competitor to all tree surgeons in the local area, why should I not expect a simple task, such as cross cut a trunk into rounds, to be conducted in a competent manner.

I have not named and shamed, that is not my intention, but simply pointing out the failure in our college system and industry competency system to turn out, after a two year course, someone who can cut a log into sections.

No offence intended - you are right, perhaps I should not share . . .:thumbdown:

There are no names mentioned - it is a post based on frustration.

Facts:

1. He gave me a business card with tree care on it.

2. He is a self-employed, sub-contracted tree surgeon.

3. He has passed the industry standard for chainsaw use for cross cutting, maintenance and safe use of.

4. He has worked with several tree surgeons and amassed over a years worth of experience.

5. With all of the above evidence and the fact that this lad has effectively set up his own business and is a potentional competitor to all tree surgeons in the local area, why should I not expect a simple task, such as cross cut a trunk into rounds, to be conducted in a competent manner.

I have not named and shamed, that is not my intention, but simply pointing out the failure in our college system and industry competency system to turn out, after a two year course, someone who can cut a log into sections.

No offence intended - you are right, perhaps I should not share . . .:thumbdown:

Don't feel alone mate this style and competence is where ever you go, scary thought that he is working for himself and hiring himself out as competent, time and patience with them is what they need some like to run before they can walk.

What is the assessment and pass criteria for CS30? Was the assessor asleep? I think you will find that the criteria for BASIC cross cutting is of a smaller diameter than what you have given the lad.

I would not have left him to it. Rather, watched him do the first few cuts and then when satisfied, let him carry on.

Personally, think it's your fault not the lad.

Give him support and encouragement. IMO it was a lack of his confidence in cutting large diameter timber

facts cs30/ covers mainteance and cross cutting and stacking of small timber of 14/15inc.cs31/ covers felling of small trees 14/15inc.

so u let your lad fell a tree when he has not had proper training in the cs31 class.in cs31 u do not use wedges.

wedges are only used in cs32/33.

and for your lad well all i can say hats off for trying with no exp and no help from u as a boss...your lucky u got your saw back in one lump and running.

i think you should as a boss go back to arb college. in my view you have still got some learning to do.because this mistake was not the lads fault its yours.:thumbdown: