log burner/boiler combies

mcs??whats that

Its a rip off scheme introduced by the government which stipulates that if you want to gain the government cash for Feed In Tariffs or Renewable Heat Incentives then your system must be installed by a MCS approved installer. The effect of this already on Solar voltaic installations has been a sharp rise in the cost of installations to the extent that a MCS installation can now be twice the price of a similar DIY system.

Johnny, i recently installed this type of boiler in a purpose built brick outbuilding to heat a new 350sqm house. I opted for 2 1000lt heat storage tanks and it heats all my domestic water including 3 showers 6 upstairs radiators and 995 meters of underfloor heating. With the cold weather just now i use 2 good barrow full of seasoned logs a day and my house is toasty warm. If you check out the company they have all the info. They also use a very good installer based in Penrith. He did installation and commissioning for me for £2200 with me buying the materials which cost £950. Its not covered by the governments grant scheme but that didnt bother me as this was the one i wanted after i looked long and hard at alternatives and as previously said the money use save with the grant is swallowed up with the accredited installers. Ps it also has back up oil burner included if you get lazy or run out of wood.

BaxiDuoPlus.pdf

just to correct my post before, because i cant work out how to 'edit' it.

I didnt put down the log sizes of the eco angus range correctly. The size I stated was actually a more expensive competitor product. The eco angus being able to take a larger log and for a cheaper price was another thing that drew our attention to it.

To clarify on the two points raised i will respond in general talk for log boilers as follows;

When i say that the log boilers can take 10" Diameter logs i should maybe have said that the boiler can take up to 10" Daimeter.

The log boilers like logs cut to the right length for the depth of the loading chamber and stacked liked bullets in the magazine of a rifle.

Hardwood lasts longer than softwood due to the higher calorific value but ultimately these will burn all wood as long as it is 15-20% humidity

(we supply a wood moisture meter free of charge when you order a boiler).

This is vitally important otherwise it compromises the efficiency of the boiler and increases the pitch in the loading chamber and heat exchanger tubes.

As far as Installers we are awaiting the fine detail of the Renewable Heat Incentive. But in the consultation document it did indicate MCS (Microgeneration Certification Scheme) approved products with MCS approved Installers.

I agree that the cost of the install has risen as there are only 97 in the country and i suppose that is how capitalism works. But this number will be double by this time next year so as the market increases there should be greater competition and economies of scale along with de-mystification of the product itself.

As the scale of the grants are potentially large it is still extremely worthwhile to pay the premium for the installation for the grants available for your installation over the next 15 years.

It has been indicated as 9p per kWH for a boiler installed up to 45kW and 6.5p per KWH for a boiler installed above 45kWH.

This could be a grant of £750 to £1000 per year for a well insulated 6 bedroom house on a 40kW boiler for 15 years.

It has the ability to be greater than the fully installed value of the product over the tenure of the grant.

The one other thing i would say is that it is important to choose a good boiler, a good accumulator tank and a good installer.

We have had incidences when a plumber has installed one of these log boilers.

They have asked very few questions through the install only to find that they have made basic plumbing errors that compromise the performance of the product. It is frustrating when some plumbers guess rather than ask!!

Most suppliers will have the information rerquired to hand or on their web site such as schematic drawings for open or pressurized systems to assist the plumber.

Those who are MCS will have invariably installed a number of boilers and so will have that greater understanding of how to install and marry the log boiler with your exisiting heating system.

Hope that helps as there is a feel that with the RHI the market could increase ten fold if the wood does not run out!!

we are looking @ getting a large burner/boiler combo to run 20 rads/water has anybody done simlar & what cost is involved ? the burner will be located outside in a large shed/cover over type thing ,iam looking for a large burner that can take bigger than the average log size ,any help/info, it is to run with gsh if poss

cheers johnny:001_smile:

how about these FARM 2000 Heat from Biomass - wood woodchip straw waste