Going halves on a chipper - the pitfalls?

TimberCutterDartmoor

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went into a business with my best friend and it was so difficult . This was turfing for Red Row Homes . Although it was great at the start it soon went sour . We both are still best friends but in order to do so we had to knock the 50 /50 thing on the head . Sometimes the smallest things would quickly get blown out of proportion . Does sound like lots of extra stress to me .

i went halves on a chipper with 'another member' on here also. its been a complete nightmare from start to finish :sneaky2:

haha just kidding.

if the 2 of you are going to be using it a lot then its going to creat problems. fortunately for us, neither of us uses it that much and theres rarely been a clash. i think im lucky if i use it once a month, this is why its worked for us so well.

which reminds me...i need the chipper wednesday andy :biggrin:

Should have mentioned; won't be lending / hiring it to anyone else whatsoever. We are with each other typically 3 days a week, often more. We assume if on different jobs and both needing a chipper, the one with less chipping will take the Jo Beau (a Jensen on the cards in this case). We meet at each others houses every morning depending on location of job so job dynamics won't change much. Like SB says, personality dynamics are the issue here; we both do clean, tidy and organised but have not known each other for years and whilst we seem to get along rather well, there might be tiny things that could be the fly in the ointment... altho we haven't discovered them yet. The funds pool is a good idea, tx SB,,,

I effectively sub ground & chip to my climber and he contract climbs for me; you know the deal.

We are thinking of going halves on a new chipper (keeping the old one - it has its niche).

I went halves with another mate on a trailer in the past and it was a disastrous arrangement but that was due to the fact he was a lazy messy worker who always left the trailer full of crap and expected me to empty it (when using it for our own respective jobs).

I'm nervous and optimistic at the same time; he has always used me for chipping so by half owning it I wonder if my services to him might reduce as such (nice move etc); he says not but I'd value any contributions, especially those based on experience, good or bad.

many thanks...:001_smile:

Halves on a chipper, no way. Forget it.

Why not just buy one outright and then increase your rate to the climber as groundie with a chipper? He needs a groundie, he needs a chipper why not make yourself fit both of those criteria?

If you go halves you are possibly in less demand if he can get a £50 saturday lad to do the chipping for him, you are effectively stumping up half the money to make him more cash and you less needed.

What if you get a clear fell contract next year that means you want the chipper but not the climber for a month solid, how is he going to react to that?

If you do decide to go halves can you come to some agreement that wherever possible the chipper goes out with the pair of you, i.e. you don't use any other climber and he doesn't use any other groundie