dmm karabiners

Ben Saxton

The LOLER examinations include an offset test that most Karibiner companies agree can in itself damage a karibiner especially if carried out a little too vigourously.

LOLER has been brought in to ensure everyone in the industry is looking after their equipment and if it reduced accidents it should prevent insurance costs soaring in line with accidents.

Many of us are perfectly capable of carrying out inspections on our own equipment but many unfortunately are not through misunderstanding the kit we use or its safety tollerances wish I had a pound for every climber who has said its only a couple of nicks in the rope mmmmm :001_huh:.

I have seen brand new Karibiners from several manufacturers fail testing just through being "stored" in the bottom of a dusty dirty kit bag nothing wrong with the karibiners that a good clean wouldn't sort out but thats no good when you need to use it in the field.

For the uninitiated or new folk on here try storing karibiners in a clean bag and pop something to clean them with in the truck just in case, be that GT, WD or Graphite. I would like ot see more retailers offering a sonic cleaner service in the shop got to be worth 50p a pop.

Are there many accidents due to kit failing?

Out of all the people I know who have had accidents in arb not one has been due to failure of rope,crab harness etc.

An before you say loller must be working I know that none of them bother with inspections:001_tongue:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are there many accidents due to kit failing?

Out of all the people I know who have had accidents in arb not one has been due to failure of rope,crab harness etc.

An before you say loller must be working I know that none of them bother with inspections:001_tongue:

Well if they are having accidents the training is failing somewhere isnt it? There have been at least four fatalitlies in the UK that I know of industry statistics suggest a pyramid effect so the norm would show maybe twenty serious injuries 200 major injuries 2,000 minor etc and some will be due to folk not checking kit properly it probably comes a long way down the scale but be sure its there. I can't get the exact figures out of the HSE as its like getting water out of a stone.

You want to convince yourself LOLER is a waste of time and so many people can check their own kit why is everyone so worried about getting someone independant, trained and qualified to look at it? :confused1:

Well if they are having accidents the training is failing somewhere isnt it? There have been at least four fatalitlies in the UK that I know of industry statistics suggest a pyramid effect so the norm would show maybe twenty serious injuries 200 major injuries 2,000 minor etc and some will be due to folk not checking kit properly it probably comes a long way down the scale but be sure its there. I can't get the exact figures out of the HSE as its like getting water out of a stone.

You want to convince yourself LOLER is a waste of time and so many people can check their own kit why is everyone so worried about getting someone independant, trained and qualified to look at it? :confused1:

well said mate i thought my kit was in very good condition:001_smile:

Well if they are having accidents the training is failing somewhere isnt it?

Well probably not since I'm sure most of us know the possible consequences of free climbing, using a top saw one handed etc etc, so further training wouldnt really make a difference imo.

Well while they are at it why not inspect and charge me to make sure I'm maintaining the chainsaws, blowers, hedgetrimmers, strimmers, stumpgrinder, wood chipper, trailer etc etc?

From what I can gather poor maintenance of machinery results in more accidents than the failure of climbing kit.

BTW I'm certainly not suggesting that we do bring something in were machinery does need inspecting every 6 months! :laugh1:

Although I bet it happens sooner or later!

Well probably not since I'm sure most of us know the possible consequences of free climbing, using a top saw one handed etc etc, so further training wouldnt really make a difference imo.

Well while they are at it why not inspect and charge me to make sure I'm maintaining the chainsaws, blowers, hedgetrimmers, strimmers, stumpgrinder, wood chipper, trailer etc etc?

From what I can gather poor maintenance of machinery results in more accidents than the failure of climbing kit.

BTW I'm certainly not suggesting that we do bring something in were machinery does need inspecting every 6 months! :laugh1:

Although I bet it happens sooner or later!

Eh

What do you think PUWER is

All that kit should be inspected at reasonable intervals.

Generally 3 months:thumbup:

Eh

What do you think PUWER is

All that kit should be inspected at reasonable intervals.

Generally 3 months:thumbup:

Excellent!!

Who do I give a load of cash to every 3 months then?:thumbup:

Is everyone getting all their machinery checked by an independent, trained and certified person?

I do it myself on a more regular basis:sneaky2: