Viable rescue technique?

chris cnc

i think i may have posted this somewhere before, but i can't find it....

Would this work?

basically, the rescuer ascends SRT/ footlock style on the injured persons rope.

If this is viable, it would be way quicker than setting a new line.

:confused1:

edit: this is of course taking into account the anchor branch strength and assuming rope has not been damaged during accident

rescue.jpg.004ea626df1c6c9dc44e88c00bffed53.jpg

Edited by chris cnc

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Those harnesses must of cost a bit

But in all serious if some one was hurt up a tree i would use anyway to get to them to get them down. This looks like a safe way of doing.The way i have been told is time consuming and 36% they will die if you do it the way we have i have been told..All you wont is the person on the ground asap

But in all serious if some one was hurt up a tree i would use anyway to get to them to get them down. This looks like a safe way of doing.The way i have been told is time consuming and 36% they will die if you do it the way we have i have been told..All you wont is the person on the ground asap

Though I agree with what you say in genral you do have to get em down but you've also got to be a bit sensible to what you do whats the point in runing up like a mad man doing something that you think will work and save time til you find out when your blokes falling out the tree.

Though it sounds a good system Why over complicate something thats allready pretty simple and pretty quick?

If the casualty is on a friction-saver tie-in-point - would a heavier rescuer pull the casualty upwards towards the TIP?

And when lowering the casualty - would the heavier rescuer just lower himself / herself ?

i suppose you are right about the heavier rescuer.

i don't think you would have a problem on the way down though. you could always clip both harnesses together in the same way as in other rescue techniques.

maybe this technique would be useful for rescuing climbers from long limb walks or awkward positions away from the stem?

just brainstorming a bit :001_smile:

Though I agree with what you say in genral you do have to get em down but you've also got to be a bit sensible to what you do whats the point in runing up like a mad man doing something that you think will work and save time til you find out when your blokes falling out the tree.

Though it sounds a good system Why over complicate something thats allready pretty simple and pretty quick?

For got to add in a safe tried and tested way I see what you mean running up like a mad man then something goes wrong

of course any rescue technique must be safe for both the rescuer and the injured.

like i said, just thinking out loud.

surely though, it must be agreed that:

tying in a friction hitch and ascending the rope DIRECTLY to the injured, is quicker than:

setting a rope, knot, friction hitch, ascending, and reaching the injured party.

of course it would not be suitable in every situation, but how many people have a rescue line pre installed as a precaution, on EVERY job?