Academic etiquette and writing

O.k so I am now desperet to get this subject sorted and learn the ways of writing scientific/academic style, but more than that, the ettiquet and recognised methods.

any resources, books, classes etc etc etc would be much appreciated:001_cool:

remember that when using botanical names such as, Quercus robur when identifying Pedunculate Oak or English Oak - 'Quercus' describes the genus and 'robur' is the specific epithet not the species as some people may think, the species is Quercus robur

Try to write mine in the context of Introduction, Method, Results, Discussion and Conclusion. It all depends on wether your paper is written from scientific data you have collected or an over view of data and facts you have researched or possibly a combination of all. As some one mentioned earlier your referencing is of vital importance. If the paper your wrting is for a particular university/college they will tell you which referencing is required (Harvard is widley used). If you are publishing again you will be asked to reference in a certain.

If you had bothered to reference my publications, or replied more positively to my offer of help I would have given you the help you needed. You see I have actually published over 30 papers in first rate scientific journals and I did not pay 50p for my Ph.D.

If you had bothered to reference my publications, or replied more positively to my offer of help I would have given you the help you needed. You see I have actually published over 30 papers in first rate scientific journals and I did not pay 50p for my Ph.D.

interesting.....

anyway......

Henk,

whats that your making in your avatar pic?

Then that is in my error, and the loss is mine, I could do with your advice and appears ive closed that door.

I apologise for any offence or lack of respect and or gratefull attitude:001_smile:

Hi Tony

Bangor University Forestry Department style guide attached. It's a fairly good guide to fundamental report/dissertation writing. I found it handy when doing my Master's thesis.

I still reckon you're skirting around the inevitable: if you want to get into the sorts of academic/research areas I think you want to get into, you'll get nowhere without a good university qualification. That's the script, I'm afraid. You need the passport to get into academia.

Best of luck

Scott

CP_S&P.pdf

Hi Tony

Bangor University Forestry Department style guide attached. It's a fairly good guide to fundamental report/dissertation writing. I found it handy when doing my Master's thesis.

I still reckon you're skirting around the inevitable: if you want to get into the sorts of academic/research areas I think you want to get into, you'll get nowhere without a good university qualification. That's the script, I'm afraid. You need the passport to get into academia.

Best of luck

Scott

Thats a good guide was going to put my Herts uni one up but that one is much better.

Go into Waterstones Tony and check the academic book section there is normally a few good books how to write/reference.

thanks guys, some good advice.

as for the uni qual, i am in talks regarding some research so there is light at the end of the tunnel, cant afford the courses at the mo never could but tried, and neasrly lost my home for it.

A man should not be denied entry to a world he wishes to add to rather than plagerise and discuss what has already been before him.